Quiet exercises

Rate this topic

Tysrian

Hi guys, I was wondering if any of you know some quiet exercises. The only exercise I know that doesnt get really loud in the high range is humming. I cant really get loud in the house because of our neighbours but I still want to practise some fuller sounds.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Singing is about making noise! When you try to keep quiet, you tense muscles that you shouldn't and you don't provide the right breath pressure because you're afraid of being heard. I speak from personal experience when I say that being timid will not help you, I have spun my wheels for years trying to be quiet... It's no good for you.

I suggest doing vocals in your car, if you can. I live in an apartment, and can't be loud, but I give it hell in the car everyday. I have exercises on my iPod, and do them on the way to work, the way home, and pretty much any time I'm alone. It's not ideal, but it's a solution.

I've known of bands that rent a storage garage or storage unit and practice there. I'm not saying that's affordable for everyone but some have found it cheaper than rent. Guns and Roses use to have a storage unit for their equipment and most of the band had slept in that unit, from time to time, since they didn't have money to even rent their own place.

Hmmm, i may be wrong, but I think practicing singing quietly in itself is a good exercise. For example when expanding range without raising volume. If you cant hit it when you do it softly or at speech level, my assumption is you're muscling your pitch up with force.

Quiet exercises is good for neutral. The other modes need to get loud as you ascend though. Being a mostly overdrive and curbing singer myself I must say that having a place where you can sing undisturbed is great. Can't say the people around me thrill with joy when I repeat a high passage in a song over and over again. ;)

A person could also buy thick, yet, lightweight fabric and tack it with pins to the walls to absorb sound. The point of most exercises is to produces notes of good tone at a volume suitable to be heard and, in these days, recorded well.