How to make belting less tasking at G4-Bb4?

Rate this topic

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

an analogy ive read is its like air in a balloon, the more you pinch and apply pressure the less air is going to escape, with the pinching being tensing your support muscles.

but this is only based on what ive read and my experimenting, im not an expert so im curious what other people on here think.

the air ballon is cool but look at it like the opening of the ballon is closure of the cords if it goes limp the ballon deflates if its nice and taunt the ballon deflates slowly which is why closure is directly involved in what is "support".

martin, what do you think about post #117 where i describe how i think cord closure is separate from support and you can support too much or too little?

Mike, that's a question of definition. For some people support is only about respiration. However, the vocal folds plays a crucial role in adjusting the ratio of air pressure and flow just like a valve. That's why you can't separate those two in my opinion. But once again, that depends on how you define support. :)

Yes, air pressure and flow are inversely proportional. At least to some degree. In phonation it is probably better to speak of the ratio between air pressure and flow. :)

The resitance/impedance, yes.

However, you can increase/reduce both at the same time, they are only inversed related from the point of view of fixing the exhalation force and looking at the effect of a the laryngeal coordination. A loud scream will have both more pressure applied AND flow ( more power) in relation to a soft, quiet quality, at the same pitch.

Felipe,

There's a lot of choices (making it highly complex). If we are only focusing on the power (breath) then it depends on what kind of lung volume you are using. At the level of the source (vocal folds) and filter (vocal tract) regulation is done by the many ways you can increase resistance, where in phonationn the amount of vocal fold adduction is the most common :)

I agree Martin.

And if such coordination is used, it would also require more exhalation force. Agreed?

Lets think of an unvoiced release, with an open glottis (near zero impedance on the emission/vocal tract).

I can either just release a given flow that I will call F.

Or I can use more exhalation force than I need, and oppose it using the relay action. Lets say that I had the same resulting flow, F'. So F and F' are the same.

True or false?

What if I calculate the ratio between this flow and the exhalation force applied to generate it, what would be a good name to call it? Impedance of the vocal tract can be related directly to closure, and what about this one? :)

Some of this discussion is bordering on a paradox. The more air pressure you apply to the vocal folds the more closure force you need to keep the folds closed in the first place. Holding the air back with diphramatic support should be to make it easier for the folds to stay together. They work together! Give the illusion of power with the balance of cord closure and air pressure. Yeah, seems easy to write it down not so easy when actually applying it.

But, I am no teacher so what do I know?

What if I calculate the ratio between this flow and the exhalation force applied to generate it, what would be a good name to call it? Impedance of the vocal tract can be related directly to closure, and what about this one? :)

Extrinsic anchoring :P

Without going too detailed into physics again, I think the ratio between a flow and the energy to create that flow is always some kind of resistance or impedance (or the inverse of one depending on what you divide through what). If you create the same flows F = F' with different exhalation forces, the impedance has to be higher for the one with higher exhalation force.

The impedance of the vocal tract is created by fold adduction and by the shape of the vocal tract obviously. The impedance of the breathing system is created by antagonistic action of the inhaling muscles against the exhaling muscles.

The first one is what is often called "intrinsic" support or anchoring, the second one is "extrinsic" support or anchoring. I think this is pretty well-defined in the TVS concepts of intrinsic and extrinsic anchoring. Both have a function in regulating airflow. When people talk about "support" they often talk about only extrinsic anchoring or both of them combined, so I aggree with Martin that it depends on the definition of "support".

Yes benny.

But now you are calling it anchoring. The term anchoring as far as I know is used to define muscle tension used to stabilize the system, as Martin himself defined so many times, a framework that is stable.

What if we compare the impedance of the source+vocal tract against the impedance of the system now? :)

Isnt it true that you can have more or less of it? Isnt it also true that the result is a higher impedance flow source, allowing more dynamic variations without instabilities on the air collum?

If its true, how many ways are there to achieve this same thing, except by using the antagonism of both coordinations?