Deep River cover - [Utada Hikaru]

• TMV World Legacy Member

Recorded this in two takes a few minutes ago. It's a Japanese song by Utada Hikaru, but I tuned the song down 6 half steps. All feedback is appreciated!

Cover: https://app.box.com/s/jwje96jidimksrn7e3qw

Original song:

"The journey in between what you once were and who you are now becoming is where the dance of life really takes place."
-B. De Angelis

My SoundCloud

Thanks so much for the vowel chart and these tips on opening up! This is awesome. I will try to apply this to my singing! Especially the hard "t"'s and "k"s. I can hear for example in this recording, when I sang the lyrics, "Watashi no mae ni maiorita ANATA WO" the "anata" could have benefited from using the "aw" vowel sound, and "sagashiteru" was probably the hardest phrase too. (A bunch of F#4's I think?) So It would become "Saw-gaw-sheh-teh-roh" I think, with the slight vowel shifts.

"The journey in between what you once were and who you are now becoming is where the dance of life really takes place."
-B. De Angelis

My SoundCloud

Just tried to use the vowel shifts for this other Utada song, Dareka no negai ga kanau koro [When Someone's Wish Comes True].

Cover: https://app.box.com/s/7ciqb1u0q8m11aylorvg

Original song:

-B. De Angelis

My SoundCloud

Tried to improve the Deep River cover, keeping in mind softening the consonants, and opening up the vowels of each phrases for more resonance. I think I'm more comfortable/familiar with the vocal line for Deep River, whereas "Dareko No.." is shakier imo. Here's a link to the Deep River 2nd try.

https://app.box.com/s/jwje96jidimksrn7e3qw

-B. De Angelis

My SoundCloud

Javastorm - I think you sound really excellent. Your performance is very expressive. That comes through on the recording. Just a couple technical things and you can make really good recordings. Get a pop filter - some of those "P's" are really explosive. Watch the input levels - you are overloading in the input stage and causing a lot of distortion on the louder parts - they are sung really well but the distortion is killing it. Also, throw a compressor on the vocal track and tame the levels. It is too dynamic where certain phrases are jumping out too much.

Wow, thank you! I listened to it again and I noticed the parts where there is distortion, I guess because the vocal track and the background track couldn't fit in one channel at the volume I recorded the vocal at? I'll look for the compression tool for my next recording and try to tame the input levels, or lower them when I need to record a louder section. Thanks for pointing that out!

-B. De Angelis

My SoundCloud