quick question on inhaling sideways

Rate this topic

bigmike092

i have read that instead of thinking about the belly going out you should think about inhaling sideways where your lower ribs are. does this mean to literally expand your ribs sideways, or focus on lifting where your lower ribs are and they will naturally expand outward to the side on it's own?

also is it okay for shoulders to rise just slightly, or should it really be completely still when inhaling?

mike, speaking for myself, i feel the expansion all around, the ribs, the back and with me my lower belly comes up and tucks in, and my upper belly comes out. not to say it's the only way, just how i do it. it also depends on what you are singing...if you are crooning, you might not feel much at all.

Bigmike, you describe it correctly. The belly doesn't stick out but it expands, and when you sing phrases and support, your lower abdomen does pull back a little. Don't overthink inhaling, rather focus on the pause and exhale. If you think breathing into your balls then you'll inhale correctly. Thus sayeth some wise heavy metal dude once.

My experience is very similar, bigmike. The inhaling muscles are always working and "inhaling", that's why we feel "tension" and heat on the lower back and lower ribs, while ribs expand sideways and the belly expands naturally, but when I exhale air to make a note the belly tenses just a bit and tucks in very little, while keeping the inhaling muscles "pulling down" the air.

I tried the "solar plexus out and lower belly in" way as CVT describes it, but when I do that it's entirely muscular, haha, I am a ballet dancer so my muscular control is different, so it just stiffens my body due to muscle contractions and braething manipulations instead of making it more relaxed and organic. Also I found that when I think actively about my belly the tension often creeps up to my throat, so I prefer just to think about my intercostal muscles and lower back, this way my belly expands and tenses naturally without overdoing anything.

I tried the "solar plexus out and lower belly in" way as CVT describes it

i think CVT is referring to the exhale on that. but yea when im expanding the lower ribs and solar plexus area im not forcing my lower belly to go in on the inhale, it does on it's own. and i wasn't sure if that was correct, but it seems it is with everyone's replies.