crackly sound in head voice

Rate this topic

songhc92

hey guys,

after a long search for my head voice, I believe i have found it (though Ken Templin's voice program, where i was introduced to connecting check voice to head voice through the bridge).

oh and btw I'm a 22 year old male.

But there seems to be a problem, and it is that I get this dirty cracking noise when I make my head voice.

To better explain it, it sounds like the fry voice in ADDITION to clean head voice (so there is a dirty noise on top of a tone).

I best guess is that whatever is left from chest voice "contaminates" the sound of head voice? I don't know much about vocal cords.

What can I do to clean this up?

Much appreciation in advance.

its not anything from the chest voice contaminating. does it just happen at the top of your range, cause if you try for a note that's to high for you your voice will crack.

or does it happen right when you go into head voice. if so, then it's just about learning to navigate through head voice more efficiently which is done through practice. start on an ah vowel on your lower bridge, then when your about to approach headvoice modify towards uh.

that's really all the advice i can give, i would wait for more knowledgeable people to respond as im still learning all this stuff myself.

bigmike092, thanks for your reply.

The crackling sound is almost everywhere in head voice. For now, I am practicing my bridge around E to A~Bb, and it does it on every note.

And I thought of a better explanation: it's almost like when you have spit left in your throat which makes the gargly noise when you sing. I've been trying to make different brightness of "ah" vowel to eliminate this, but so far it has been unsuccessful (there were times when it cleared out for a brief moment.)

Perhaps it's happening because I haven't mastered loosening my neck, especially right below the jaw? (bottom tongue area)

it's almost like when you have spit left in your throat which makes the gargly noise when you sing

maybe your constricting the throat to try to reach the high notes instead of proper support since you do need more and more pressure to reach them.

im myself closing off the throat and it get can even get sore, so ive been focusing especially on maintaining constant air flow which you can't do if your throat is completely closed.

Well.. here goes nothing

WARNING: LOUD AND OBNOXIOUS VOICE AHEAD

I don't have a good recording mic, but I think you'd still hear it.

The thing is, if i add some chesty voice into it (which i can only up to G. That's my limit with pure chest voice) the crackling noise goes away. But that would defeat the purpose of the exercise, as I'm trying to learn head voice.

In the lesson, Ken tells me to go very soft, to really get the feel of head voice. But softer I go, more crackling noise I get.

I agree with bigmike092 that it probably has a lot to do with improper support. But it's hard for me to connect "soft" voice with "full support." Any helpful exercises that would help me with this?

Why don't you try the tone on Ah not Hah that way you will get an onset that will begin with good closure and support. And don't hold it long just a second until it's nice and clean and the balance is worked out. I would stress doing it lower as well until it's real solid then move up in pitch.

I think that is still chest voice, mate. As you are just trying to get the coordination of headvoice right now I think if it was, it would sound like a very obvious headvoice at first. But don't misunderstand me, I'm not saying breathy, I'm saying that headvoice has certain qualities that can be pretty identifiable.

I think that is still chest voice, mate. As you are just trying to get the coordination of headvoice right now I think if it was, it would sound like a very obvious headvoice at first. But don't misunderstand me, I'm not saying breathy, I'm saying that headvoice has certain qualities that can be pretty identifiable.

Could be, but I get the same crackle/buzz/fry sound sometimes around the same notes, and it's definitely in head/mix voice. Since my voice has been transforming lately due to training, I chalk it up mostly to lack of coordination. I'm not used to using my AT and CT muscles together in this way, and the AT are still by far the stronger. Keep playing with different onsets, vowels, intensities, etc. (tweak all the knobs!) and see what happens.

I get a similar sound, typically only from E4 to G4. Above G4, it goes away, below E4, it goes away.

When I'm fresh, I go through that range quite easily. But after hitting a few higher notes, A4-C5, that noise starts to appear, and I struggle to get rid of it. It's almost as if my higher range muscles are getting tired. Sometimes, I can make it go away, and it feels like a weird balancing act to get it to disappear. But after I'm tired, it simply won't go away until the next day.

I just don't sing songs with those 4 notes in them. :)

It's not chest voice so you're good with that. Head voice or mix, and a good intensity to train at.

In my experience I think this kind of sound can happen for any of the following reasons:

-placement/throat shape/vowel mod isn't right

-support isn't right

-arbitrary unnecessary tension somewhere

-your voice is dehydrated

-your voice isn't warmed up enough

-your voice is fatigued and needs rest

And all of that is kind of interrelated so it can be hard to tell exactly what it is but at least you know those are the possible causes.

I get similar gritty sounds right at the middle of my mixed voice sometimes, right around the most unstable area, but it doesn't show up consistently, some days I can soar through it totally clean when I'm warmed up, so I suspect it depends a lot on subtle variables like what I mentioned.

Don't freak out about it, because you would still develop the voice better with a sound like that than, say, flipping into falsetto through all your vocalizes. You seem to have a good laryngeal configuration down, it's just support or resonance problems screwing you up - getting those variables down will remove the constriction causing this sound.

Constriction like this doesn't mean you're doing everything wrong, it just means you're getting in the way of your voice by some small mistake in the balance of things. It's pretty easy to fix with guided experimentation under the direction of a coach, but by yourself through trial and error, you probably won't be able to fix it immediately with support and throat shape adjustments so it's better to just account for the condition of your voice and try to "reset" it so to speak - take a break, drink some water or tea (nothing ice cold), eat a healthy meal, come back to it in 30 minutes.