Can't seem to use chest voice

Rate this topic

DennisDo

When I sing songs like Story of My Life by One Direction or All of Us by John Legend, I can't help but sing certain part in my head voice (or I'll strain/push)

Is this due to my voice type or perhaps underdevelopment?

An example is this music video of One Direction, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-TE_Ys4iwM.

At 1:07, they sing "The story of my life" all in chest and I have to singe "life" in head voice or I'll strain/push.

Any idea if I need to do certain exercises?

Underdevelopment. You just need to work on extending your chest voice range. Or perhaps work on building a mixed voice and adding more chestiness into it later.

This isn't about knowing certain exercises, you need to know very precisely HOW to do ANY exercise with the purpose of stretching the chest voice range higher with healthy technique.

If you can see a coach who knows how to help you develop this that will speed up your progress a ton rather than just trying to self-teach and experiment until it's right only to forget what you did and never be able to do it again. It's very frustrating trying to learn this alone, it's an uphill battle. A great coach who knows this specific area of vocal technique well will tell you how to get it consistency so you can practice and start building real muscle memory.

But research carefully because a lot of otherwise great vocal coaches still do not have a handle on this skill of extending chest voice range safely. The teachers who can actually teach it are rare. Make sure they can demonstrate this chestier sound you want and have students who have developed the same thing.

Thanks Owen, I think it's time to hit one of my vocal buddy then lol. I definitely noticed that sometimes when I sing along with the song, I'm able to hit my chest voice, but it's only when I'm feeling very relaxed.

dennis,

that section is not all in chest voice..

remove that perception, as it could cause you to overdue things and remain too thick at the bottom.

i watched some live performances....

he's got a good voice...

he's using a blend of both voices with a nice open throat and solid vowels

one way you can develop this is to do nice supported callouts with yah (as in hot) yaw, yo, and yuh. these vowel sounds encourage blend...you don't even have to worry about specific notes......just like you are calling out to someone, get the back of the throat nice and open and don't forget to support the tone.

if you do it right, with a little oomph behind it, the tone will come flying out of you.

remember, the exercise is the simple calling out, nice and open, and no flipping into falsetto.

dante has a great video on this.

Hey Dennis I was going to post here but I thought about it and figured that there are so many how to increase your range videos out there and programs you can buy. Just pick one and stick with it. Getting a little written info by 100 different guys that are not in the room with you could really confuse you.

Good luck

Daniel hit it on the head. Its a matter of range extension. The word "Life" in that video is around a G4. That's right in the middle of the passagio. Yeah on a good day you can strain to reach it. But you want to be able to sing that every time - without strain. And it is definitely possible. But learning how takes a lot of work - and the right kind of work. Either get a teacher or like Daniel said, invest in one of the programs out there.