Am I singing in falsetto?

Rate this topic

IamHo

iamho,

wait a minute!

the way you onset (the way you began) each attempt, no good.....it's too forceful...you are slamming the hell out of the vocal folds...not a good thing.....

you could damage your folds...they can get dried out from the uncontrolled air...the next thing your folds get dry and raw and become subject to friction...making you vulnerable to callouses or vocal nodules.....

not sure if you're just a beginner or not, but you don't want to get off to a potentially bad start.

that's a high note to sing with a connected voice....particularly if you're new to singing.

Well if you go by articles like this one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falsetto*, they are the same thing, but most modern vocal coaches make a clear distinction between "head voice" as a vocal register, and "falsetto" as an airy vocal quality. Some members of this forum start to see red when these terms are confused. :P By the latter definition, what you are doing is in the head register, but more of a "mix" or perhaps "pharyngeal" voice than a falsetto.

For me it's a semantic issue, but I see the point that "falsetto" implies something "false" (i.e. not your true voice), while "head voice" or "head register" is the key to bridging the break between your speaking voice and the upper range. Technically "head voice" and "head register," "chest voice", etc. are also imprecise terms, as they describe the sensation of vibrations as opposed to the actual vocal mechanisms.

*Wikipedia seems to be down at the moment, at least for me.