Is singing by screaming and growling an unhealthy way of singing?

Rate this topic

IamHo

Chester Bennington, Jon Bon Jovi and Steven Tyler are good examples. Their voices have worn down and is that the price of it? So, is there really no safe way of screaming and growling without harming mu vocal chord?

from what ive read at the cvt forum there are much healthier and safer ways to do it but its not known if its 100 percent healthy. i think it has to do with making sure you don't close off throat, but all let more knowledgeable answer.

a good video to check out too would be the zen of screaming, supposedly the author teachers healthier ways to do it.

Singing in extreme styles, distorted vocals, rasp, screams very High singing/ Opera puts alot of demand on the singer and ofc the risk of injury is alot higher then if your singing comfortable in in the middle of the range.

Now Many might find it weird i put Opera here but it's true singing unamplified and having to compete with an orchestra is extreme. And is one of the style that Requires almost the most of the singer, and thats also the reason it's a style that has alot of vocal injurys.

an operasinger on stage usually Sings alot less than for ex an rockvocalist who usually does all the singing without break in an one hour show.

a good video to check out too would be the zen of screaming, supposedly the author teachers healthier ways to do it.

Having done ZOS for a couple of years I can say you really, really want to build a solid vocal technique first. No matter what. And that's what the actual growlers say too. Those dudes from Machine Head, for example, (freely quoted since I can't remember it per se):

"We're not Opera singers, but we've had to do these exercises that we've never done before, and they sound stupid, but they get the job done."

Referring of course to the basic vocal exercises Melissa had them doing. Also I love how the vocalist from Shadows Fall said "Melissa, you keep that sh** hidden, I swear to god, don't show it to anyone." Referring to the videos of him doing yay-yay-yays and ee-ee-ees.

If I were to start over with no technique but knowing what I know now, I would approach extreme vocals by

1) Mastering support and building up a crazy stamina for the support mechanism since it's basically really all it comes down to: controlling the air like a laser without pushing. Do Paul Chek's breath exercises, for example.

2) Mastering false cord first, which is "grunting," although the word is not a very good one in describing the actual technique

3) After that it's everything else, and whateverthef* you want to call them (cookie, death, fry scream, whatever)

But it's a paradox, really. By learning good vocal technique you get better at applying extreme techniques. You can't really practice JUST extreme techniques and sound good (subjective, yes. Not sorry.)

My 2 cents. Take it with a grain of salt. :)

i'd also i like to add that this kind of phonation is not for everyone.

it's a very attitude driven, aggression driven, very intense kind of singing. there's a big mental component too.

i'm not sure what kind of person you are, but if you have fear or reservations, or approach it very tentatively, or you are the type of person who is not very ballsy and demonstrative, you could get into just as much trouble under singing it as you can overdoing it.

as everyone has said, nail down the technique of clean, powerful vocals first.

As for growling, that depends. If you are the Cookie Monster, you are probably okay.

I think the key to any question about healthy or not, can you do it without pain (Notice I did not say strain) and repeat it for the next 20 or 30 years?

Plenty of people with no singer training have weird sounds in their voice and do fine, living the life of the ugly duckling until one day, some one hears them as a beautiful swan.

So, if you find me walking around the house or neighborhood making a honking sound, I am a work in progress. :)