Guitarist who wants to sing!

Rate this topic

Hey guys! I am a guitarist from Calgary and I have decided to take the plunge into singing and lyricism. For years I never really sang out of fear and now I have a lot of catching up to do to make my voice sound good enough to play my songs and have people actually want to hear them. I am unsure where to start and what to practice. I have included a link of my singing for your criticism.

Hello man. I think your voice is a bit strained. The first thing I can really tell you is that you're opening so much your mouth while you're singing, you don't have to do that, try to Do more "ecomic" moves. The good singers from the forum will tell you better advices I'm sure.

Se ya!

I don't think you were strained. Pitch was good. However, I was expecting more variation of emotional delivery. So, nothing technically wrong, just an aesthetic thing, some variability of intensity.

You have a soft tone and the song highlights that. Now that I think about it, the evenness of tone and delivery you have comes from the style of writing. In some ways, similar to REM. They also tend to write in a "circle," so to speak. Where the pattern repeats and the whole presentation is like a single scene or a painting.

Thanks guys for the criticism I will get some more material up as soon as I can. I feel my vocal delivery lacks interest and I'm not sure exactly what I need to do/practice to make it more emotional.

Thanks guys for the criticism I will get some more material up as soon as I can. I feel my vocal delivery lacks interest and I'm not sure exactly what I need to do/practice to make it more emotional.

This is going to be opposite of what most people tell you about singing. They say you do not sing like you speak, which is true but in your case bring a little more of your speaking into it. What I mean is the inflection of speech. Not the sound production.

Sing it like you would say it if you were actually telling someone how you feel.

You have a good tone in your voice the lack of emotion is from concentrating on singing instead of what you are saying in the song.