is my new thinking on support correct (not a how to thread)

Rate this topic

bigmike092

few things first

1. i mean thinking about it different personally from how i have been, not as in inventing a new way of course

2. im not asking for advice, i know there's plenty threads on that already some of which are mine. just asking if

these ideas are correct

3. expansion being lower ribs, area between navel and sternum, and lower back

also i sum up at the bottom if you dont feel like reading the whole thing.

lately when supporting i would inhale out then try to keep the expansion as people would say as well as cvt saying the waist is pushed outwards when singing (which im starting to think they mean on inhale?) then if i want to sing higher or louder i would push out with more effort and try harder to keep the expansion from after the inhale. but then i shifted my focus to making sure after the inhale it slowly and continuously goes in which led me to notice my support muscles were locking up leading to strain on my throat. (and that keeping the expansion means not completely collapsing?)

after doing this i also noticed singing higher or louder the expansion goes in faster, when ive been thinking it should go in slower because theres more air pressure that should be keeping it out. so then i thought (if im interpreting correctly from reading) it must be because theres more air being used but the more air pressure keeps it from there being an increase in airflow, so you won't feel it being blown out more.

to sum up,

my focus shifted from keeping the expansion to bringing it in gradually. also higher and louder singing= apply more tension to support muscles=more air used along with more air pressure which reduces airflow=expansion going in faster not slower, which is where i would usually try harder to keep it out leading to strain.

i feel like all my reading and practice is starting to come together in regards to support though, whether im right or wrong on above. for the first time i can sustain a vowel for 22 secs on a note whereas some time ago when i timed myself i could only do 10-12 secs. a good part of that i think is inhaling more correctly too.

also i do notice supporting while singing a song is definitely harder than on a note and certainly dont have that down yet...

Hey Mike...

Its really complicated to say anything based on text. Even with a sample, its hard to know for sure.

Generally speaking, make sure you are working with your breathing, and not adding tensions unrelated to breath control. Work from the breathing coordination into the references, this way you will avoid wasting energy.

Example. Expansion on the waist:

Release all the air you have, hold it out, wait until you get air hungry, relax and let the air come in. At the end, keep the intention of inhaling, feel what happens on the waist, solar plexus and epigrastic area.

Should feel like your breath is suspended or paused. From the effect on your breathing, you construct the reference, then you see if the waist is a good focal point for you (usually it is).

I strongly advice to seek help from someone to assist you define these concepts.

There is a thread I made a while ago with a few ideas that can help identify problems/clarify ideas:

http://themodernvocalist.punbb-hosting.com/viewtopic.php?id=5774

few things first

1. i mean thinking about it different personally from how i have been, not as in inventing a new way of course

2. im not asking for advice, i know there's plenty threads on that already some of which are mine. just asking if

these ideas are correct

3. expansion being lower ribs, area between navel and sternum, and lower back

also i sum up at the bottom if you dont feel like reading the whole thing.

lately when supporting i would inhale out then try to keep the expansion as people would say as well as cvt saying the waist is pushed outwards when singing (which im starting to think they mean on inhale?) then if i want to sing higher or louder i would push out with more effort and try harder to keep the expansion from after the inhale. but then i shifted my focus to making sure after the inhale it slowly and continuously goes in which led me to notice my support muscles were locking up leading to strain on my throat. (and that keeping the expansion means not completely collapsing?)

after doing this i also noticed singing higher or louder the expansion goes in faster, when ive been thinking it should go in slower because theres more air pressure that should be keeping it out. so then i thought (if im interpreting correctly from reading) it must be because theres more air being used but the more air pressure keeps it from there being an increase in airflow, so you won't feel it being blown out more.

to sum up,

my focus shifted from keeping the expansion to bringing it in gradually. also higher and louder singing= apply more tension to support muscles=more air used along with more air pressure which reduces airflow=expansion going in faster not slower, which is where i would usually try harder to keep it out leading to strain.

i feel like all my reading and practice is starting to come together in regards to support though, whether im right or wrong on above. for the first time i can sustain a vowel for 22 secs on a note whereas some time ago when i timed myself i could only do 10-12 secs. a good part of that i think is inhaling more correctly too.

also i do notice supporting while singing a song is definitely harder than on a note and certainly dont have that down yet...

Motion, when necessary, in the abs (shorthand for all that "musculature" down yonder.)

I think you got it, dude.