House of the Rising Sun(Adoney inspired)

• TMV World Legacy Member

Got inspired to lay this one down....My old "original" band used to close our show with the Animals' We Gotta Get Outta This Place and our "sound" was very Animals-esque.

Anyways, one take through it (except for playing around with couple different endings.) Comments always welcome and my hats off again to Adon for his awesomely ghoulish interpretation. Mine is very bland in comparison :P

https://app.box.com/s/v24uvqtac4tz89rucb8t

Awesome!!

Man you got the range for this! Sounds very good. That ending is very good too.

So you recorded this track? Sounds better than the karaoke one I got! hehe

Not bland, just different. And just as good. You've got that blues thing in your voice. And a bit of Chris Cornell up top, too.

Adoney's version would fit well in a Rob Zombie movie.

Yours would fit in the middle of "Easy Rider" when the hapless duo visits with some nice ladies in New Orleans that starts in a brothel and winds its way through a cemetery.

Well done, Analog.

So you recorded this track? Sounds better than the karaoke one I got! hehe

Hahaha...God no. It's karaoke + garageband. (what happened to autoedit?) savant "like some people" that play every instrument and record every track perfectly.

I like the one take method for vocals(at least on these types of songs) where I leave in warts and all but capture a "vibe." It's probably all in my head and I over-romanticize the Mles Davis method and all that...but oh well...

Ron,

thanks man!! I was laughing because this track sounds like every soundtrack to HBO shows nowadays(True Blood and True Detective.)

Hahaha...God no. It's karaoke + garageband. (what happened to autoedit?) savant "like some people" that play every instrument and record every track perfectly.

I like the one take method for vocals(at least on these types of songs) where I leave in warts and all but capture a "vibe." It's probably all in my head and I over-romanticize the Mles Davis method and all that...but oh well...

Same here, Analog. Ask, well, just ask anyone.

I didn't listen to all of this yet( I have to run out the door now) but the first few lines sound awesome.

That jump in pitch always thows me off. When you sing it and Adoney it does not sound out of my range but when I go to sing it it sounds screechy and seems like I am singing an octave higher than I should.

I will listen more when I get back.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

I didn't listen to all of this yet( I have to run out the door now) but the first few lines sound awesome.

That jump in pitch always thows me off. When you sing it and Adoney it does not sound out of my range but when I go to sing it it sounds screechy and seems like I am singing an octave higher than I should.

I will listen more when I get back.

MDEW, that is because you need to to do the hillbilly mountain man version. The horror movie heavy metal and the bluesy biker version have now been done. Now, we need the apallachian version.

Give it some of that "deliverance" flavor, sans Burt Reynolds and Ned Beatty.

I could sing it in the original Appalachian Blues style. It may have a finger picking style close to what you did in your Beatles cover. The song is listed as traditional, meaning that it has been around so long and seen so many changes that no one knows who actually wrote it.

Though it mentions a House in New Orleans it was not a Delta Blues song but a Mountain Blues song.

Originally Hillbilly music. :D Right down my alley.

1938 Roy acuff

from a young girl in Kentucky

1940s http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK54Qwj1S7Q LeadBelly Deltablues style

Sorry to derail this thread Trivia, Gotta love it.

Jugulator,

ha...maybe you should throw a version into the mix. This is such a fun song to sing, would be cool to hear different interpretations.

MDEW,

youtube never fails to amaze me. Great find on those!!! And absolutely do a mountain version w/ fingerpicking. I love bluegrass and have some bluegrass stations on my pandora....you have the perfect voice for that style.

Well it's tough...it jumps up to A4 and hangs out there. Bob Seger used to do the same for me...when I first started singing I would think oh that's not that high and then try to sing it going what the hell???? How could it possibly be that high....what the hell's going on? He must be a wizard :lol:

Same thing w/ Lou Gramm stuff although I always new it was up there just not how far up there.

Ron,

ha...exactly!!

The horror movie heavy metal and the bluesy biker version have now been done. Now, we need the apallachian version.

So how did you figure out how to sing those A4s. Does it really feel like F#4 and lower once you achieve that level or is the fullness from some sort of distortion?

I can sing A4s but it still sounds shrill and feels different even with full cord closure.

So how did you figure out how to sing those A4s. Does it really feel like F#4 and lower once you achieve that level or is the fullness from some sort of distortion?

I can sing A4s but it still sounds shrill and feels different even with full cord closure.

Years and years of training. Plus 20+ years of singing A LOT!!! First 10 years doing original stuff, last 12 years doing party band stuff for a living more or less. I started losing my voice a lot and that started my vocal training search. Best thing I ever did was take lessons. I'm a decent "mimicker" but there's no way I would've worked this out on my own or through books or whatever.

Now many years later I can sing what I want in a completely healthy manner(no loss of voice.)

I still can't sing "everything," but I'm sure I'll die long before I get close to that :P

Now many years later I can sing what I want in a completely healthy manner(no loss of voice.)

I still can't sing "everything," but I'm sure I'll die long before I get close to that :P

An excellent lesson for everyone to learn. the hugely famous singers we all know and love and admire did not and do not sing every song ever, every style ever. They sing what their voice does well. And that's it.

I tell myself to follow that model of behavior. With mixed success. :D

Very well done. I've been working on this one too but I'm not there yet. It's that elusive A4.

I often think it's the highest note I'll ever need/want....actually because of this song. Eric Burden is easily one of my favorite vocalists and his low range is as epic as his high belty stuff.

I wish they had a karaoke version of this Animals tune

Don't know how to embed....maybe someone can help me out. Anyway, nicely done.

A gentleman never talks about his tailor.
                                                   -Nick Cave

Very well done. I've been working on this one too but I'm not there yet. It's that elusive A4.

I often think it's the highest note I'll ever need/want....actually because of this song. Eric Burden is easily one of my favorite vocalists and his low range is as epic as his high belty stuff.

I wish they had a karaoke version of this Animals tune

Don't know how to embed....maybe someone can help me out. Anyway, nicely done.

like that.

Jugulator,

look forward to it.

Ron,

in my experience after gigs, 100% of the compliments I've received have been the result of material I connected with AND fit my voice to a T. Being in cover bands means covering LOADS of songs that are not a "great" fit. I still sing them of course, but the end result is pretty meh on those tunes.

I have a good female friend who is considered one of the most "powerhouse" vocalists around. She changes the key to almost all of her songs(lower and sometimes way lower.) It's extremely diva-ish to do from the band perspective,) but the audience has no idea about key sigs and/or couldn't care less . She wouldn't be caught dead singing something that didn't fit her voice. It was a powerful reminder to me….if you want to connect with an audience, stay in your "sweet spot."

Hobbit Rock,

thanks man. Keep training your voice. You'll get there. An A4 is plenty of range for a LARGE part of the singing catalog. Obviously certain genres require quite a bit more, but most don't. Good luck.

Gneetap,

thank you for your kind words! The Ray Charles thing is interesting, I never thought of that until you mentioned it, but you're right. I used to sing+rap Gold Digger by Kanye West where the intro to that has Jaime Foxx singing the interpolation Of Ray Charles' I Got a Woman. Always went over well.