Like a Stone cover

• TMV World Legacy Member

So, practice, or even better, good practice makes perfect. So, this is my cover of Like a Stone as part of my vocal practice. The vocal part was recorded in one take, and I am aware that it is not perfect and polished yet, but as I am thrilled with my progress on my own, I would like to get your opinions, good or bad. Thanks

Hey! I liked it :)

The thing that I thought the most while listening to your singing is that it is a bit too much directed to the sinus, and with the palate low, negating most of your big and meety resonance. Experiment with your palate and try to achieve a big, beefy, and a bit darker tone. This way the higher you go on your chest register the more power it gains, with no added effort on the folds, just more breath support, and for this song in particular those highs would sound tons better ( For my taste obviously ). Also, for me, using that resonator instead of focusing on the sinus has helped me to build a lot more chest strength and range, so maybe it could help you too.

And if it is an issue about shyness or something like that let me tell you my experience. Don't be afraid to make a huge sound that feels "wrong" or out of place, because it's just resonance. In my home I always tried not to bother, so I kept singing in a medium volume and when organically the sound goes bigger because of acoustic physics, I constricted, or directed to the nasal cavity, or just changed the mode (as CVT describes the sound qualities) and it was very unhealthy, because physically those things are supposed to happen and there's no way around it, haha.

Hey Xamedhi, first of all, thanks for listening and commenting. I think I totally get what you are saying about getting a beefier sound. But as a "semi-professional chest-puller", I was trying to sing in the most relaxed and "economical" way I could, and keeping the buzz in my head all the time. Maybe I ended up overdoing it and it sounded too thin. Hopefully I did not sound nasal. Still, I'm going to start trying to pay more attention to my palate, keeping it higher to get more resonance, and maybe even re-record this song in this mode. Thanks again for the support.

Good job! You sound like your technique is coming along on the right track. There were some minor issues with stability and pitch but I think it was just a symptom of trying to manage a new technique. You should be able to work those out in a couple months as you get more confident with the technique you're building - it will be much easier to find and maintain the exact pitches.

The only point I'd say you should take conscious note of is at the end of the chorus on the lyric "alone" - on "lone" make sure you are hitting the right pitch, you were consistently about a half step flat on that note. It's a bit of a hard note to hear because it's not diatonic to the key but if you listen to the original and sing over it and also play it and sing it back, I'm sure you'll get it.

Following up Xamedhi's point - I don't think it was too thin, but I did notice the resonance was more on the nasal/masky side. It didn't bug me, but if you want a more mouthy belty sound you can get it. Just make sure it doesn't interfere with the nice economical weight you have going - good job maintaining that medium intensity.

Good job! You sound like your technique is coming along on the right track. There were some minor issues with stability and pitch but I think it was just a symptom of trying to manage a new technique. You should be able to work those out in a couple months as you get more confident with the technique you're building - it will be much easier to find and maintain the exact pitches.

The only point I'd say you should take conscious note of is at the end of the chorus on the lyric "alone" - on "lone" make sure you are hitting the right pitch, you were consistently about a half step flat on that note. It's a bit of a hard note to hear because it's not diatonic to the key but if you listen to the original and sing over it and also play it and sing it back, I'm sure you'll get it.

Hey Owen, thanks for your time and the kind words. I feel like I am on the right path with the technique, even without a vocal teacher now. As you could hear it, I am still working on it and is coming along nice, besides I was singing on a sitting position, which may have disturbed my control. And the final alone, I felt that it sounded weird, and I was almost sure I missed the note, but I didn't bother to listen to the original to compare. I will make sure I get that note burned in my brain so I don't get confused again. Thanks again, and I'm glad you liked it. :cool:

Following up Xamedhi's point - I don't think it was too thin, but I did notice the resonance was more on the nasal/masky side. It didn't bug me, but if you want a more mouthy belty sound you can get it. Just make sure it doesn't interfere with the nice economical weight you have going - good job maintaining that medium intensity.

Yeah, as I told Xamedhi, I was intentionally keeping the buzzing feeling (on the mask) throughout the song. But I think it is safe now to experiment with the sound trying to make it beefier. Thanks again for the tips.

Let me add to Owen's point. On "alone," sing it as al - ah - n.

the oh sound in the word is pulling you down. do an ah and it will be fine.

Bravo for taking on a tough song.

Thanks for listening and the tip, but especially for the kind words ronws!

I agree it's a bit too nasally on the verses and I would add that some of it is pitchy, just slightly flat. But other than that, it seems like a very decent cover! :) Would like to hear more/another attempt, too

Good idea, a vowel mod could help there, "ah" is one option. You could also try "aw" or "uh" which are a bit closer in tonality to "oh". Or any mixture of those vowel shades.

I know Ron objects to the "uh" vowel but it's because of the way his dialect speaks it. There is a singer-friendly way to sing uh which I will not attempt to explain in text.

Just experiment with those options and pick what sounds and feels best to you.

Good idea, a vowel mod could help there, "ah" is one option. You could also try "aw" or "uh" which are a bit closer in tonality to "oh". Or any mixture of those vowel shades.

I know Ron objects to the "uh" vowel but it's because of the way his dialect speaks it. There is a singer-friendly way to sing uh which I will not attempt to explain in text.

Just experiment with those options and pick what sounds and feels best to you.

You're right Owen. And as I find, a vowel I suggest may not work because of not just my dialect of English but another person's way of speaking vowels. Some dialects, the sound they should have for ah sounds more a in cat. And so, with them, you would have to over-correct with aw or oh.

And maybe uh would help with him. And others.

I agree it's a bit too nasally on the verses and I would add that some of it is pitchy, just slightly flat. But other than that, it seems like a very decent cover! :) Would like to hear more/another attempt, too

Hi Adoney, thanks for listening and the pointers, but above all thanks for the encouraging words. I agree with you on the pitchyness. I think I even felt the moments when I did that, because it seemed that I lost focus and just let the song guide me. Regarding sounding nasal, as I was trying to sing with the least effort and very relaxed, trying to keep the buzz on my head, I probably over did it. But I will experiment and try to get a beefier sound when I re-record this song. Thanks again. :cool:

Hey! Nice to see a lot of comments here. Thanks for taking note of my suggestion, these things at least for me work, so why would I be the only one?haha Possibilities are just that, possibilities :P

If you can re-record and fix the small pitchiness and stuff it would be cool. Keep up the good work, mate.

Hey! Nice to see a lot of comments here. Thanks for taking note of my suggestion, these things at least for me work, so why would I be the only one?haha Possibilities are just that, possibilities :P

If you can re-record and fix the small pitchiness and stuff it would be cool. Keep up the good work, mate.

I certainly will re-record and experiment with changes in sound color. I was just afraid to fall into bad habits, like when I started to sing this song a year ago, and I could only sing it standing up and yelling, and could not even reach the highest notes. From that to singing on a sitting position very relaxed (a bit hoarse from last night´s practice) it felt like a huge victory already. From now on it is just refining and improving, and happy singing. Thanks again.

It sounds as if you are improving. :) After listening to this song "Nockin' on Heavens Door" started playing. Listening to that you can tell that you have the ability to sing those high notes. As others have said, it sounds as if the Accent is what is holding you back a little. An Accent is defined by the way one pronounces vowels.

No matter what accent we start off with, in singing, we all need to gravitate to the same way of producing vowels.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

It sounds as if you are improving. :) After listening to this song "Nockin' on Heavens Door" started playing. Listening to that you can tell that you have the ability to sing those high notes. As others have said, it sounds as if the Accent is what is holding you back a little. An Accent is defined by the way one pronounces vowels.

No matter what accent we start off with, in singing, we all need to gravitate to the same way of producing vowels.

Hi MDEW, thanks for listening and the kind words. Sorry about the Knocking on Heaven´s Door starting to play automatically. I am very new to soundcloud and didn´t know that would happen. I liked that you think I have the ability to sing high-pitched songs, but the truth is I´ve been working hard on reaching those high notes. I posted a long time ago my first attempt to cover Iris (Goo goo dolls), and from that to this cover I am thrilled that I´ve come a long way. Regarding the accent and vowel modifications, I will definitely try to apply that to improve my singing. Not being a native English speaker will make you work a bit harder to achieve certain sounds. But as you mentioned, is my accent too hard on the ears? Thanks again, and also for listening to me practicing Knocking on Heaven´s door. :)

Hi MDEW, thanks for listening and the kind words. Sorry about the Knocking on Heaven´s Door starting to play automatically. I am very new to soundcloud and didn´t know that would happen. I liked that you think I have the ability to sing high-pitched songs, but the truth is I´ve been working hard on reaching those high notes. I posted a long time ago my first attempt to cover Iris (Goo goo dolls), and from that to this cover I am thrilled that I´ve come a long way. Regarding the accent and vowel modifications, I will definitely try to apply that to improve my singing. Not being a native English speaker will make you work a bit harder to achieve certain sounds. But as you mentioned, is my accent too hard on the ears? Thanks again, and also for listening to me practicing Knocking on Heaven´s door. :)

The accent is not too hard on my ears. :P I have to work on my accent also (hillbilly twang). I just feel that it is the English Language that is part of the pitch problems also. The more comfortable you get with the language the better control you will have over other things.

You did great job on "Knockin' on Heavens Door" (I thought something looked funny the first time I wrote that. :P I forgot that silent "K" :lol::rolleyes: )The High parts sounded smooth and without effort.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

It sound that you are singing with alot of filling, need more work I think but very good :)

Hi AmirMaor, thank you so much for listening and the kind words. I will keep working on it. :)

The accent is not too hard on my ears. :P I have to work on my accent also (hillbilly twang). I just feel that it is the English Language that is part of the pitch problems also. The more comfortable you get with the language the better control you will have over other things.

You did great job on "Knockin' on Heavens Door" (I thought something looked funny the first time I wrote that. :P I forgot that silent "K" :lol::rolleyes: )The High parts sounded smooth and without effort.

Hi MDEW, good to know I´m really getting better. I may be wrong (it wouldn´t be the 1st time) but I think the pitch problems in the low notes came from singing in a sit-down position and also from losing focus/relaxing to much. I can´t wait for some free time when I can try this song again. Regarding Knocking, I think I was pitchy on the low notes too, but got better at the higher part, and yes it felt really confortable singing as high as I never did before. I felt like I was in the zone, so much that I messed up the strumming several times. :P Cheers