"Ring of Fire" First attempt by young bass/baritone

Rate this topic

Would love some opinions and critique on this. Tried to capture a bit of the southern effect while doing this but it's tough being from Philly and 17 yrs old. By the way, I know things get a little pitchy at the bottom end in the G to A range.

It's cool that you can go that low but go ahead it sing it an octave higher like Johnny does.

If you want to practice your Bass singing try Old Man River. That is a pretty cool Bass song.

"I walk the Line" By Johnny Cash is another song for singing Low.

I did not notice any pitch issues but that low is a little too low for that song. :)

This is kind of a high song but you can hear bassier tones in his voice.

Yes, that's Ringo Starr on the drums, and Jeff Lynne (from Electric Light Orchestra) on the bass. You cannot miss the fro and the sunglasses, ever. And George Harrison on guitar.

I don't think you are a bass baritone :lol: but you did well in that range.

Hard to tell from this clip but I would shoot more for baritone. Are you speaking really softly? Usually baritones also have more weight but with a very trebley webcam mic I doubt it would be picked up!

I don't think you are a bass baritone :lol: but you did well in that range.

Hard to tell from this clip but I would shoot more for baritone. Are you speaking really softly? Usually baritones also have more weight but with a very trebley webcam mic I doubt it would be picked up!

Put bass/baritone because I've been told both about my voice and didn't want to sound too certain about either. Didn't mean the "basso-baritone" classification itself. Thanks for response!

It's cool that you can go that low but go ahead it sing it an octave higher like Johnny does.

If you want to practice your Bass singing try Old Man River. That is a pretty cool Bass song.

"I walk the Line" By Johnny Cash is another song for singing Low.

I did not notice any pitch issues but that low is a little too low for that song. :)

Yeah once I start getting near those G and A1s, I really begin hitting the lowest part of my voice that is quite hard to control. I'll try it an octave higher and see how that goes. Thanks!

hey Phil singing really low is fun too though :)

Rarely useful though. The only applications I've found are

-the maybe 1 out of every 10 songs that naturally call for a melody to be written very low (if the range is available to you). Still usually never lower than the middle of the 2nd octave. Any lower gets muddy and a becomes a bit of a "wow what a low note" gimmick

-group a capella stuff that requires bass notes...for this you sometimes want notes a lot lower, at least the lower 2nd octave.

That's literally it. The latter is definitely harder and something I would actually like to work on personally if possible but I don't know any coaches who teach extending the low range. The former I already have down, it's very easy. Work on two or three songs in that range and you'll get it, but I think beating that kind of repertoire to death just because of the range rather than because they are songs you actually want to sing, is a dumb excuse for not gaining more range.

• 2 weeks later...

i meant how he keeps calling himself a bass. I remember a thread by him wanting to increase range. I just don't want him to get locked into this mentality that "he's a bass and can't learn to sing high"

I really don't consider myself locked in the "bass" mentality. I called myself a bass or baritone for the purposes of this post mainly because the notes I sung where in that range, not because I'm necessarily either of those voice types. I'm only 17 anyway so who really knows where my voice may end up, and I'm always trying to work in the upper-middle as much as I can to feel comfortable up there. Thanks so much for the response!

Man! I'd like to hear a song in your mid to high range if possible. You have a very dark timbre and I am curious as how it would sound higher.

Still deciding which song that's going to be. I can usually produce a pretty convincingly light tone in the upper middle if I really focus on resonating in the head, but unfortunately allergies have been impeding my voice recently.

No, man , you keep on singing the low stuff. Because you have a gift others do not have. It's just not fair, that's all. Well, revel in your individuality and excellence, even if it is considered gauche to be exceptional or have a unique talent. We have more than enough instances of bassos and baritones singing stuff in the tenor range or wanting to, at least. Very few honest to goodness dark bassos.

No, man , you keep on singing the low stuff. Because you have a gift others do not have. It's just not fair, that's all. Well, revel in your individuality and excellence, even if it is considered gauche to be exceptional or have a unique talent. We have more than enough instances of bassos and baritones singing stuff in the tenor range or wanting to, at least. Very few honest to goodness dark bassos.

I appreciate the comment, and I'm happy to tell you that I'm not really trying to sing in the tenor range or anything as I certainly enjoy the resonance and overall feeling of bass singing. However, I think the next post will be in a slightly higher range just to get some critique on my upper-middle tone/production.