how is my singing

• TMV World Legacy Member

i've been working at it for a few months. i used to be a belter, but i figured out that if i lighten up, and sing softly i can connect my voice better. i've been working on singing softly and slowly adding volume whenever i feel ready.

how does this sound?

http://www.box.net/shared/ags39mxm97

Sounds great for that type of music. Lovely vibrato

Have you given up belting entirely? Mixing it with this voice quality would surely bring dynamics to your singing. On the other hand this song seem to really suite a complete light quality

i'm not sure. basically what i'm doing right now is singing every song lightly. rock songs, pop songs, anything. that's just to help me connect. One of the problems i have though, is that when i play acoustic guitar and sing, no one can hear me unless i have a microphone. If try to sing louder, then i just go back to my old way of singing, and have a harder time controlling my voice. I'm hoping the volume thing will eventually sort itself out. Any tips or suggestions for this type of problem?

Hi,

That was good but I would like to hear you sing without the original song in the background. Do you have a karaoke version of it?

cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds good Rich. You have chosen to sing in neutral mode which is lighter. If you want to sing louder you need choose one of the other modes which is not only louder in volume but also brighter which will help you"cut" through the other instruments. These other modes have different "setups" in breath compression and muscle involvement of the vocal folds. Try yelling - that sensation is called "overdrive", or simulate crying - which is "curbing". You should find much more strength in those modes. The terminology I'm using is from CVT. There are a lot of different terminologies.