How much do you sing?

Rate this topic

ThePowerOfOne

So between work, school, sleep, significant others, various chores, watching TV, reading about and studying singing and of course posting, reading and wasting time on this here forum etc.... just how much time do you actually dedicate to your singing obsession?

I want to be specific, I don't mean working out/warming up as in singing scales, sirens, trilling and what not, but actually SINGING SONGS.

Meaning, you fire up karaoke/instrumentals and sing along, take your guitar or sit at your keyboard and run through complete songs start to finish one after the other or maybe perform live.

How much time do you spend everyday singing?

Tell us how you do it, what is your routine, What do you concentrate on during those sessions etc?

Me personally, I try to dedicate at the very least 2 hours a day, 7 days a week to practice. Sometime if possible I'll do 3 hours.

I have a large collection of instrumentals that I use plus my trusty Hearfones so that I can hear exactly what I'm doing at all times without disturbing the neighbors too much with an actual PA.

Even though it's not connected I also use a mic and a stand for practice purposes to make it more fun and interesting.

I'll usually start with easier lower or more relaxed songs to warm up with for the first 20 or 40 mins, and then depending on how ready the voice feels, I'll move to more challenging stuff, be it higher tessitura songs or some good ol' belting.

I practice and move throughout the entire range everyday, with multiple approaches.

I'll practice singing lighter and heady and practice singing heavy and heady.

Practice singing really high songs with emphasis on pulling chest as high as possible into the 5th octave and blending. And of course my favorite: good ol' belting! I really do enjoy belting the most. It's lots of fun and nothing gives more satisfaction than yelling my face off!

I think it's important for everyone who wants to be as versatile as they can, and to be able to sing whatever they want, whenever they want, to practice your technique in all kinds of different configurations and approaches and not to focus on isolated facets of singing. You'll be limiting what you can do and your stylistic freedom of expression. And that of course will be a damn shame.

So what do you do and how do you do it?

2 hours of SINGING SONGS daily? Man you have a lot of time on your hands, good for you. I would love to get that much singing in now that it's summer and I don't have much outside occupations going on...today I got maybe an hour of singing in which is pretty typical of what I'd get during school maybe a little better. I usually would get something like an hour of vocalizing hour of singing in on the best practice days - any day where I have the time I try to make that happen. Realistically it may be 1 hour or 1.5 hours total and on very busy days maybe I can only get in 10 minutes and that's still worth it.

Now with the summer I would like to do something more like 2 hours of vocalizing, 1 hour of song breakdown and 1 hour of singing songs start to finish. Not in that order and not without breaks in between, but total, that would certainly be ultimate.

I don't have a routine with it I just squeeze in as much as the rest of my life will allow, which is usually plenty of time because singing practice is one of my highest priorities.

then there's the mental component singing...this counts as singing too, i believe.

saying to your voice..."we're doing a new song...this is what i want you to help me do."

actually willing the voice to places or notes or effects.

then there's the mental component singing...this counts as singing too, i believe.

saying to your voice..."we're doing a new song...this is what i want you to help me do."

actually willing the voice to places or notes or effects.

I'm not sure I get the context here Bob. wrong thread?

The lack or replies is telling me most of you don't spend enough time actually singing and are embarrassed to admit it.

Maybe its cause the threads only been up for a day!!!

There could many more likely reasons - some people might be too busy singing to talk about how much they do it, some people might not find the topic interesting or helpful to them (how much you chose to sing is an individual right - obviously everyone's answer will be different), some people might be focusing more on coordinating the foundation of their instrument through vocalizing more which is totally fine if done at the right stage in the learning curve, etc

If you pay attention you'll notice only a handful of "singers" on here don't sing much. And there's nothing we can really do to change that, some people can't seem to be convinced of the importance of working on songs...

I'm not sure I get the context here Bob. wrong thread?

not at all...i mean it when i say you have the mental side as well.

this counts as singing...i don't keep a timeline on when and how long i sing. some days are more and some are less.

but particularly if i feel the song i'm planning to perform or i'm about to attempt is full of challenging parts, i talk to my voice...sounds crazy, but i want an open line of communication with my voice.

your whole body (and mind) is your voice.

The lack or replies is telling me most of you don't spend enough time actually singing and are embarrassed to admit it.

That seems contentious or designed to elicit a response. Or a desire to have one's thread have more traffic.

Or not. And who cares?

Anyway, I sing every day. Sometimes 30 minutes, sometimes 1.5 hours or so. I don't keep track, it's not a "race" for me, nor am I stacking up creds, bona fides, or even bragging rights on how long I go on singing.

And my confession is that I rarely do scales. And my idea of doing a warm up is going through a stanza of verses at quiet volume to make sure my notes are placed right. Next verse or chorus, game on. I don't spend a lot of time "warming up."

However, when I do sing, I concentrate and focus intensely to watch what I am doing. Because it would not matter how many scales I do. Or how many songs I sing or for how long I sing. What matters most is HOW I sing. HOW am I using my voice? Incorrect usage will wear you out whether doing scales or going through a song.

Then, other mornings, I don't really sing whole songs but may take a snippet and run it through the wringer. Either a funny voice. Or do a whole phrase with one vowel sound. Or hold a note, low or high, doesn't matter, and play with resonance and tonal qualities. Just for kicks. No "plan."

Then, again, I can probably get away with it since I am "a satisfied hobbyist in your adulthood."

And just as I don't care what my highest note is, other times, I will go ahead and do whatever highest I am doing that day, several times in a row. I guess you could call it cross-training. Flexibility seems to be important to me, now that I think about it.

And, I daily commit the most grievous sin of seeking to develop my sound, rather than ape someone else's. Though I am influenced by other singers.

Again, I sing every day, sometimes a little, sometimes a lot, doing about 75 mph up the Rayburn Tollway. Driving a standard. So, I have developed multi-tasking.

And some of my most well-received recordings were first and only take, no rehearsal, no warm-up. I think, for me, it is very important to do something well all the time, regardless of conditions.

I don't know how many hours I sing on an average day, but I think it's a lot of time.

I sing while waiting for the bus, which is like 10-20 minutes. That is loud singing, and depending on how many people is around or how do they look, haha, the vocal range of the songs vary. ( Don't ask why, it just does )

I sing on the bus, ranging to mostly very low volume to medium volume when no one is around, haha. This is like half an hour.

I sing while walking to the stablishment where I study, which can be another 5 minutes. Then I have to tell myself "man, focus, you need to do ab work and stretch your legs.. not sing" because I tend to sing while waiting for my class if I'm listening to music ( this can be another 15 mins ) And this is not productive neither for my voice or my body.

Then if I get home early and have enough time I sing for like an hour and record some stuff mostly because I just love it, haha, and to practice. To listen to later, correct mistakes, and just meditate on my philosophical route in singing.

I don't know if you do this, but I hear what I record over and over again. And again.

Then when I'm done with that and go do other stuff, like watching series, play Xbox or reading, I always sing in between. Probably 5 minutes of singing when I go to the bathroom, then other 5 when going for a snack to the kitchen. Then other 5 minutes when a catchy song interrupted my reading.

( Those bathroom and kitchen runs can repeat themselves like 3 or 4 times, I'm a professional eater and.. expeller(?) lol )

After dinner I probably had some song stuck on my head and spend 10 or 15 minutes in my bedroom singing random parts or practicing the "beauty" of some ballad. This can go on until my mom yells from the living room something like "I ALREADY LISTENED TO YOU THE WHOLE DAY AND NOW I CAN'T EVEN WATCH...", wel you get the idea. lmao

That seems contentious or designed to elicit a response. Or a desire to have one's thread have more traffic.

Correct on all counts Ron. Everybody is always so nice and respectful in this place, nothing wrong with a little sh*t stirring if it's harmless. :cool:

Correct on all counts Ron. Everybody is always so nice and respectful in this place, nothing wrong with a little sh*t stirring if it's harmless. :cool:

WEll, be careful with that. Sometimes, you get a little on yourself.

Driving down the road is when I get a chance to work on my singing.

:( I have maybe a 5 minute ride to work. The stores in my area are around the same distance. I am married, live in a two room apartment. I may get 1 night every 2 weeks to try to record something. The set up of equipment takes at least an hour to get me started. Once my wife gets home it is her time and I must stop good, bad, or ugly.

The songs I post are a result of that last recording. I cannot keep copies of different attempts. If I mess up I record over the previous attempt and start recording again.

But, songs are running through my head constantly. Someone says a phrase that reminds me of a song and I am stuck with that in my head until I can get to a radio to replace it with something else.

If I could I would be singing all day. But I have respect for others around me and realise that they also need to be able concentrate every now and then.

MDEW some ideas for recording in your situation:

Stop trying to get a song down in one session. If you come back to it on a few different days you give yourself more opportunity to improve than if you just move onto a new song before you really master the first. Quality over quantity.

Also why do you have to record over takes? Are you not using a modern recording software, all of which allow the opportunity to keep other takes?

MDEW some ideas for recording in your situation:

Stop trying to get a song down in one session. If you come back to it on a few different days you give yourself more opportunity to improve than if you just move onto a new song before you really master the first. Quality over quantity.

Also why do you have to record over takes? Are you not using a modern recording software, all of which allow the opportunity to keep other takes?

I am using a self contained digital recorder. Even if I use the same mic settings on different tracks the vocals sound different almost like using different microphones and p.a. systems, different reverb settings.... Punching in vocals from different tracks sounds worse than stopping the recording at that point and recording over the same track.

I do use seperate tracks for each instrument so if I do something right I can keep the music.

I change computers so much that it is better to just use my digital than to use a computer program.

I am using a self contained digital recorder. Even if I use the same mic settings on different tracks the vocals sound different almost like using different microphones and p.a. systems, different reverb settings.... Punching in vocals from different tracks sounds worse than stopping the recording at that point and recording over the same track.

I do use seperate tracks for each instrument so if I do something right I can keep the music.

I change computers so much that it is better to just use my digital than to use a computer program.

I'm having trouble understanding exactly what you mean but for one thing, I wasn't recommending punch ins just the ability to save more than one take. And also, if you are just saying you have to record into different tracks of a digital recorder, if they are all set the same on the digital recorder, they should all sound the same. Sometimes there are settings activated that aren't obvious and you have to figuratively jump through hoops to find them.

One more option....what about keeping it rolling - find a way to get the music playing on repeat and then keep it recording all on the same go, singing the song multiple times - so your different vocal "takes" exist inside one real time instance of recording. So then when you're out of time and have to end it, you can listen back to the entire one long recording and trim it to the part that is the take you want after listening through all of them. What would stop you from doing that?

I try to sing an awful lot. Usually warm up with songs in my vocal playlist, that is filled with 144 songs at the moment. No, I don't do that all at once, I just pick an artist ranging Adele to Jeff Buckley to Queen and do those songs that I've picked out of their catalogue. This is pretty much how I wake up in the morning, and I'll do this for as long as I can before I have to go to work/school/whatever. At least a half hour of light singing here. Then I will do more later when I get home. Been working on Messa Di Voce and find it infinitely easier after I have warmed up with songs from my playlist, much of which is in light mix or head voice. I'll also spend some time playing guitar and my own songs too. It probably works out to more than an hour a day, all the way up to 3 or 4 on the weekends.

Something else I have found helpful - and very much in the vein of one of Bob's posts - is I imagine singing when I am at work. Things have really died down this summer and I have a lot of time where I am just sitting there. So I run through songs in my head, feeling the sensation in my body, and in my folds. And as I do that I can feel phlegm loosening up so I think I am actually working out something. Doing this has also helped my pitch amazingly.

With gigs, probably 12 hours or so on a busy week (3, 4-hour gigs a week plus rehearsals, approx)- maybe less. This doesn't count morning and evening warmups for shows. I don't practice outside of that as much as I should because I don't want to "use up" what I've got before the shows. On "off weeks", I work more on my technique and trying to make things easier. If I've got recordings to do, that can add a few hours too.