Stuck on mixed vocals

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hey!

I've been practicing my mixed vocals. Especially one kind of semi-smooth mixed vocals. I can do some smooth mixed vocals for the ladies and some rough mixed vocals a la Halford for the metalheads, but the in-between is pretty darn hard as you'll hear.

I've been practicing on a phrase from My heart will go on, but I've transposed it like 4 steps up to really make it awfully hard and weird (my passagio). I can't seem to make it sound like one big voice; you can really hear my three types of vocal stages, and they're not that great by themselves either I'm afraid.

Any tips?

It actually sounds great to me and is miles better than I could do. And i dont hear the three different voices. I just notice that you're starting the phrases a bit heavier than you end them which could suggest a support issue and its fairly gritty which probably suggests youre simply spending too much time practicing gritty stuff to the point where its creeping in when you want a cleaner sound

It actually sounds great to me and is miles better than I could do. And i dont hear the three different voices. I just notice that you're starting the phrases a bit heavier than you end them which could suggest a support issue and its fairly gritty which probably suggests youre simply spending too much time practicing gritty stuff to the point where its creeping in when you want a cleaner sound

Hm! A little bith of both I think. Grit is my modus operandi, but it's going away slowly but steadily. That's not part of my mixed voice though, but the notes that are require a lot of support. I don't feel like I'm running out of wind at "fear" though, but I probably am a bit of worn out :)

Thanks, Owen!

Well you are going for that Jornlande/russel allen/ Dio sound on the C5's and D5's and thats awesome, but it's a soundcolor that you dont really pull up onto the G5. Atleast ive never heard anyone do it not dio/Jorn/russel atleast.

People who do have one big voice up into G5 lighten that color you did on the C5's and D5's abit and bring in the power slightly higher. Then it will sound like one big voice.

I'm not sure what you want. This sounds awesome, but it also doesn't seem appropriate for this kind of ballad. I think I know what you mean about hearing the "3 vocal stages", but it's only so noticeable to you because you can feel the change in sensation as you ascend. It does sound like one big voice to me, but I think your perception is being affected by how it feels.

Honestly, for a metalesque rendition of this phrase in this key, I don't see how it could be done better. I would really like to hear you try it clean.

Check out my band, if ya want (please and/or thank you).

https://tothefields.bandcamp.com/

Jens, great comment! Feels like you're onto something. Do you mean I should lighten the C5 and D5? And what does "bring in the power slightly higher" mean?

Seth, haha yeah, the only reason I chose that phrase is because the melody is hard (good). Maybe you're right, and if that's the case it's nice! :) Thanks!

Keith, haha thanks, but I can't help that I want to keep on developing my singing :)

I also think it sounds great, but i know what you mean. The thing is you've gotta sell the highnotes more, now the focus and the power is on the C5 and D5 thats cool but when you have a g5 in there make sure the G5 is the most powerfull and coolest note.

To be fully connected is alot for a voice like yours to manage that power you use in the middle. If you go fullout chesty on the C5's and D5's it will be extremly hard to have higher notes sound connected

I think the only thing that I would work on if I could sing like that is to make sure that I can sing those vocals clean AND dirty. Can you sing clean that high?

www.drop-head.com

Jens, I totally understand you now; the high note is my "money shot". Weird I haven't thought about it before. Thank you very much!

Keith yeah! Singing it clean is a bit easier actually. Singing it really rough is also easier because you can use the clean version and add some grit to create the illusion of something really powerful. This intermediate state, like in this clip, is harder because you really have to have power, not use any illusions.

Enander what leads you to believe that this intermediate variant has to have more power and less illusion?

What does it sound like if you take your approach of adding grit to the clean version and just dial back the amount of grit until it's barely there?

Are you able to sing clean with the same amount of power as this clip?

There are just examples of questions I think you should ask yourself - ones that will probably guide you toward answers

Owen Korzec, great post! I totally get your point, and I will start question more things about my singing to keep developing on my own. Thanks! :)

Hey, man! The sound you demonstrate is powerful and thick enough. The only thing I'd pay some attention to is the onset. You start to sing notes a bit lower than they should be and then climb them. Yes, this technique can be used, but not for every note you sing. And can you add more legato?

Hey, man! The sound you demonstrate is powerful and thick enough. The only thing I'd pay some attention to is the onset. You start to sing notes a bit lower than they should be and then climb them. Yes, this technique can be used, but not for every note you sing. And can you add more legato?

Nice attention to detail! :)

Yes, I use that onset quite often because I find it's much easier to find the correct pitch. I'm well-aware that I might over-use it haha!

At this stage I can't add much legato because the different type of voices is so far from each other to me that I can't connect them in that manner... yet!

Thanks! Good post!