Bruce Dickinson and his approach (General Discussion)

Rate this topic

Jabroni

Hey guys,

Bruce Dickinson sounds like a very belty singer. I almost sounds like chest voice throughout his entire range, up to E5-F5 (See the video below, especially "Cross-Eyed Mary" at 5:27). How does he achieve this sound?

Also, in particular the B4 in "The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg" at 1:30 of the video: what vowel is this and how does he achieve this?

It's not one particular english vowel there it's a specific singer-y shading. Best I could describe what I'm hearing is a combination of eh, uh, ouh (as in book) and oo. That kind of vowel mystery is typical in that range, don't expect to narrow it down to one speech vowel

may i also say when you're in that area of notes.....

pronunciation takes a back seat and learning to shape, shaping your throat...for your voice...not bruce dickinson's.

you've got to figure it out for yourself (if you have no teacher) by experimenting and searching for the throat shape that's going to work for you.

for me, it's like trying to find an accurate slot the voice wants to go into.

may i also say when you're in that area of notes.....

pronunciation takes a back seat and learning to shape, shaping your throat...for your voice...not bruce dickinson's.

you've got to figure it out for yourself (if you have no teacher) by experimenting and searching for the throat shape that's going to work for you.

for me, it's like trying to find an accurate slot the voice wants to go into.

Amen, twin brother from another mother.

I couldn't say it better, so I won't.