Heaven On Their Minds (vocals with 'big' band)

• TMV World Legacy Member

Yesterday I did this song with the Big Hucband (university band):

I made the arrangement, too, so I was excited how it would sound as a whole. Unfortunately, I forgot the lyrics here and there, but I'm more than satisfied how it went.

Comment and critique all you want,

Mano

I'm only laughing on the outside
My smile is just skin deep
If you could see inside I'm really crying
You might join me for a weep.

Murray Head is a very hard act to follow, especially in this iconic song.

I think you did a good job! My only critique would be the emotion of the song seemed to be lacking compared to the original. I could never sing that song, so take what I say as a grain of salt!:)

Also, what seems to be happening in the part 9:37? ‘You started to believe, the things they say of you, you really do believe this talk of God is true? And all the things you’ve done, will soon be swept away, you’ve become to matter more than the things they say!’

Is that really a switch from passagi?

I'm only laughing on the outside
My smile is just skin deep
If you could see inside I'm really crying
You might join me for a weep.

The lyrics I had learned were:

"And all the good you've done will soon get swept away .."

But don't worry, in my version I forgot the ending lyrics and just repeated the ending chorus. My brother, who played the instruments and mixed it, politely did not point that out. It wasn't until I heard the finished product that I realized my mistake.

Well done, Manny. This song is a challenge. I usually based my rendition on Carl Anderson's performance in the movie and his broadway role, too.

And because of that comparison, I can say that it was neat to hear this song from an opera singer perspective, as Carl sang it more in a "rock" style. Both of which are good. Just as, while I base my performance of "Gethsemane" on Ted Neely's performance, I appreciate the more timid takes of other artists. It's all in the sub-text.

I remember when I was 11 or so, we would watch the movie on tv, and it was juxtaposed in my mind with the musical and classical singing my step-grandfather would do. But he appreciated this movie because it was opera, in a way. A rock opera, if you will. Though technically billed as a "musical."

The lyrics I had learned were:

"And all the good you've done will soon get swept away .."

But don't worry, in my version I forgot the ending lyrics and just repeated the ending chorus. My brother, who played the instruments and mixed it, politely did not point that out. It wasn't until I heard the finished product that I realized my mistake.

You also didn't sing some of the intro lyrics just mentioned. This was due to the fact that you started singing late in the progression of the music. You could have fit it all in. I think the timing of my arrangement may have confused you. I didn't mention those things either. Either way, over all your version came out pretty good I think, and got you tons of kudos from all of our friends here.

Now, I don't comment or critique people's singing here, as most know. However I did notice that the band(college?) almost lost it on the timing during the short instrumental passage, as they got out of time with each other, but they recovered quickly for the rest of the song.

Official Press Release - 'Book of Shadows' CD for sale now!
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/slstone
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/book-of-shadows/id611487291
http://www.slstonemusic.com
Need music with which to sing along? 50% off All Services November Sale. Sign up now! http://stonecraftmusicstudio.com

You also didn't sing some of the intro lyrics just mentioned. This was due to the fact that you started singing late in the progression of the music. You could have fit it all in. I think the timing of my arrangement may have confused you. I didn't mention those things either. Either way, over all your version came out pretty good I think, and got you tons of kudos from all of our friends here.

Now, I don't comment or critique people's singing here, as most know. However I did notice that the band(college?) almost lost it on the timing during the short instrumental passage, as they got out of time with each other, but they recovered quickly for the rest of the song.

And thanks for remaining polite.

I, too, noticed the timing of the band. Especially the horns, I felt they got a little lost but the drummer held the path through it all.