Unintended and Exit Music for a Film (Muse and Radiohead covers)

Rate this topic

i'm familiar with exit music so i'll comment on that

Great job with technique, pitch, vibrato and whatnot. I would just suggest trying to get an even softer, lighter, gentler dynamic on all the parts that are supposed to be softer, like the verses and outro. That song thrives on dynamic contrast. It has many different stages of softness and loudness to it, really study the original and try to pick up on that, I think it will really help.

Also your recording quality needs work. Seems like on the vocals you're a bit too close to the mic, over eq'ing the top end, setting the compression to activate too aggressively, you might need a pop filter, your gain might be too loud too...stuff like that - try to make sure you're doing things correctly on the recording front and very much backing off and trying to get the natural raw sound to come through more with less artifacts - I think it will really help the sound quality.

You've got a lovely sustain in your voice, evident in both songs. Of the two, I think Exit is a closer match for your voice but I did like your version of Intended, as well. Although I am not as familiar with Intended and don't know if the switch to falsetto around A4 is the original style of the vocal line or your solution to keeping the volume back. Either way, I thought it was nice.

And I do think that ballads like this are a strong suit, for you. I am sure you can do other styles but you should definitely keep songs like this in your list of songs and/or styles to do.

i'm familiar with exit music so i'll comment on that

Great job with technique, pitch, vibrato and whatnot. I would just suggest trying to get an even softer, lighter, gentler dynamic on all the parts that are supposed to be softer, like the verses and outro. That song thrives on dynamic contrast. It has many different stages of softness and loudness to it, really study the original and try to pick up on that, I think it will really help.

Also your recording quality needs work. Seems like on the vocals you're a bit too close to the mic, over eq'ing the top end, setting the compression to activate too aggressively, you might need a pop filter, your gain might be too loud too...stuff like that - try to make sure you're doing things correctly on the recording front and very much backing off and trying to get the natural raw sound to come through more with less artifacts - I think it will really help the sound quality.

I agree with your points regarding the soundquality, I put together these tracks a little too quick using presets mindlessly and ended up overEQ'ing/overcompressing everything pretty hard. I've removed compression and eq on both tracks and I think it also fixes some of the dynamic range issues since alot of that might've been lost because of overcompression. At least at some rate.

The links have been updated with the changes I've made.

Thanks for the feedback :)

You've got a lovely sustain in your voice, evident in both songs. Of the two, I think Exit is a closer match for your voice but I did like your version of Intended, as well. Although I am not as familiar with Intended and don't know if the switch to falsetto around A4 is the original style of the vocal line or your solution to keeping the volume back. Either way, I thought it was nice.

And I do think that ballads like this are a strong suit, for you. I am sure you can do other styles but you should definitely keep songs like this in your list of songs and/or styles to do.

Big thanks Ron, I don't remember the original in detail, but my version is pretty close to it as far as I remember arrangementwise. Personally I think my version might fall short due to the fact my falsetto is a little subpar at the moment, and my control/softness on the choruses suffers from it. Bellamy makes a brilliant contrast from fullvoice to falsetto during the last chorus that I'm not quite able to reproduce right now.

I was not saying the falsetto was bad. It was fine, I just don't know if that was per original arrangement or your own style. Either way, it was good. And I like your profile page on the media site, too.

I was not saying the falsetto was bad. It was fine, I just don't know if that was per original arrangement or your own style. Either way, it was good. And I like your profile page on the media site, too.

Glad to hear you do Ron! I didn't get the impression you thought my falsetto was bad, most of my reply was just me picking on myself and what I think I need to work on, quite a habit, hehe :D