Problems in 4th octave

Rate this topic

donduck12

Hey,I'm 16,im able to sing up to g4 and sustain it for a few secs without breaking but I don't know if I am hitting it in chest voice ? How can i know that ? The problem is that it sounds strained even if i dont feel that much strain ( singing on "a" vowel) but when i try doing "i",it sounds so awfull,especially after e4.The colour of the voice changes and for eample my c#4 sounds much lighter than b3 even if it's not that higher,so all the notes in 4th octave sound really light and have no weight.any tips?should i give more details ?thanks in advance

If you can share an audio file of your voice singing around the problem areas it will better show what you're trying to describe and we can give you better help

Based on your description, maybe your voice wants to go to a mixed voice but you're choking it off from bad technique so its not stable in that configuration and then you get all these problems. That's the most likely issue. You need great technique to access the mixed voice reliably and really get the 4th octave in shape

Hm okay,here is the recording,am I singing those notes well in scales?Is that mixed voice or whatever it's called?Btw I didn't feel any strain doing scales but that a4 sounds strained and doesn't sound well to me,what should I do about that,how to make it more dramatic and better ?.At 1:40 u can see what I'm talking about,it just doesn't sound well and I don't know why,even if it's not that high.

http://www.tunescoop.com/play/323834393331/snimka12-m4a just click the play button below it's kinda hidden :D

A4 sounds flat and you are feeling strain. Because you are pushing too much and raising the larynx. In the second part, where you move closer to the sing the song, your pitch problems go away. Because you back off the pressure and let the note rise up.

When you do the scale in the beginning, you are farther away and think that you need to sing "louder" to be heard. Don't sing louder, sing more accurately, like you do with the song. The range of the voice is like a carrot. Higher notes should be more "narrow." They can still be loud, if you want, just more contained.

Hm okay,here is the recording,am I singing those notes well in scales?Is that mixed voice or whatever it's called?Btw I didn't feel any strain doing scales but that a4 sounds strained and doesn't sound well to me,what should I do about that,how to make it more dramatic and better ?.At 1:40 u can see what I'm talking about,it just doesn't sound well and I don't know why,even if it's not that high.

http://www.tunescoop.com/play/323834393331/snimka12-m4a just click the play button below it's kinda hidden :D

Sounds pretty good actually. But what counts is how it feels. And if you feel strain that is not good. First of all you are picking out a tricky vowel - "ah" has to be modified and you probably aren't modifying right if you are feeling strain. As you progress above Eb4 you need to modify "ah" to "aw".

This guy has great instructions on how to deal with "ah" in the passagio area. The whole video is good, but the modification part starts at 2:22

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2Y_9PK438Y

donduck - a bunch of your notes are coming out flat which suggests strain. I would guess this is again an issue of not having correct breath support. I would also add however that I'm not sure you're going into mixed voice in the exercise. I don't know your voice well enough to say that for sure and the recording quality makes it slightly hard to hear, but generally what I'm hearing is you sound much more like you're belting in chest. In order to diminish the strain, at some point you're going to have to train yourself to stop relying on that shouting/yelling coordination.

This isn't something you're necessarily going to fix just by consulting a forum, but if you train with a good coach you'll improve this range a lot.

Aha, Dante chimed in! He really knows his stuff, so donduck, do yourself a favor and try out his suggestions. I still think you'll need a coach, but his suggestions will give you a head start and a bit of a sneak peak at the progress your voice could make if you start training regularly one on one with a great teacher.

Hey,thanks for the great replies !

I will ask,but I don't get it,I can hear pitches very well and I don't think i sung A flat 4 instead of A4,can you explain that "going flat " thing to me " ?

Hey,thanks for the great replies !

I will ask,but I don't get it,I can hear pitches very well and I don't think i sung A flat 4 instead of A4,can you explain that "going flat " thing to me " ?

You're not so flat that you're singing the wrong note, but you're flat enough that you're not dead on the note, you're kind of between the Ab and A.

It wasn't just this pitch too it was several of them. It's not quite an ear problem as it is a vocal technique problem - your voice isn't allowing you to get fully up to the exact pitches because they're too difficult for you at the moment. Once your technique develops, high notes will become easier and you'll be able to sing more dead on the pitch without straining.