Ear Problems and the Eustacian Tube

Rate this topic

Adolph Namlik

• Administrator

I AM NOT a physician or otherwise, but often have repetitive problems with "ear problems", particularly during the winter months, or those times of the year when allergies are running rampant. This is a technique taught to me by my chiropractor, (who is excellent by the way), and has worked wonders for me on a number of occasions. It has helped me significantly with clearing the EUSTACIAN TUBE :

Just want to share...

"Grasp the ear lobe, and pull out, back, and down, all at a 45 degree angle. While holding it in that position, breathe in, swallow, then breathe out. Do this several times. It drains everything down the throat. It takes some time to get used to the sequence and timing, but you'll get it down in no time. It’s still effective if you go through it slowly, at first. I can "whip" right through it, and so will you after some practice.

A second technique: Just behind the chin, there's the “Hyoid” bone. (The only bone in the body not articulated to another bone, and which supports the tongue). GENTLY apply some pressure with a couple fingers, and slide it over sideways, at the same time, breathe in through your nose. Hold it in place, and breathe out. Then swallow. Then work it from the other side the same way.

Gargle afterwards (if you wish) with peroxide, in the event there's any bacteria in the “drainage”, to prevent any other problems. (Yeah, I know) The peroxide doesn't leave a very good taste....(Don't swallow the peroxide).

Final tip : Place you hand over you ear (I do both ears) and lie down on it for a few moments.

When you get up, you'll feel a "suction" type feeling as you remove your hand from the ear. It will also help to drain the eustacian tube."

Hope this helps you as much as it does me...

Adolph "Nightprowler"

Great advice Adolf! Also pay attention to foods and drinks that are mucous producing because in the body in the winter months this thickens and is harder to clear out. That's why you need a cold...this clears blocked and high levels of mucous! Your body in the winter naturally wants clearing foods and usually we stodge up! Keep up the good work. Hopi candles are good too! love Hilary

• Administrator

Jaime,

Great to see you here my FRIEND !

I discussed that possibility at length with my chiropractor, and had every intention of mentioning this technique for you to put into print. However, he advised against it as it was not his technique, but rather, one he learned during his course of instruction. He couldn't remember who taught him, and told me it could turn into a problem in print (in a book), for legal reasons : copyright infringements, etc. The only thing he suggested, is that I could post it on the forums, but even so, I wasn't permitted to mention his name for the same reasons. I can investigate further, however. I will definitely make the post on "The Voice Connection" ! I also considered posting it on the "Mindset" forum, in the General Discussion category, as it's such a recurrent problem for so many people, but didn't know if it would be appropriate in that forum.

I've been meaning to give you a call, however, you know how I feel about doing so when I know how busy you are with your other publications, and all of your other projects. I have an "engagement" I can't miss tonight at 8 PM, but otherwise, drop me a line, when it's convenient to talk, and I can call you.

Hope to talk soon....

Adolph

Yes sorry I haven't been around. I am working on a MAJOR new vocal project with vocal coach Michael Rocchio. All will be revealed around the beginning of the year, which is coincidentally the same time Michael, or "Rock" as I call him, will be finished with his new book:)

Another point just posted on another part of the forum is high frequency sound generation with the voice! That will clear most things....including the room ha ha!! ;)

• 1 month later...

wondering if tension in the muscles from the tounge all the way down to any tension in the pharnyx area would possibly cause the eustachian tubes to "close" during singing???? Im not sure of the correlation, but THINK i have noted a decrease in eustachian tube problems since beginning to learn to relax the touge, and open the airway...any thoughts??

and DEFINITELY great advice Adolph :) and you get 5 stars for caring about your fellow singers ...or a hug or two !! virtually that is :)

• Administrator

Rychemaiden,

I can't answer that question personally, but I can certainly find out from my "resource" pro Chiro - I'm SURE he'll have an answer - He always continues his research. I have tried so hard to get him to join and contribute, but he's just SO BUSY with his practice. I've tried every "angle", too. Especially since he's a former musician and vocalist himself.... But such as a flourishing "practice" goes... He's the BEST around here !!!

But there's also some professionals here that will know the answers, too !!!

I wish there were some easy answers to what I'm experiencing now. But this is something I'm just going to have to "ride out"...

Thank you... I try my best. If I can find these "solutions" to these problems, It makes me very happy to SHARE !!! :cool:

It's GREAT to have you back !!! And several virtual Hugs back to my Dear Friend....:) :cool:

Adolph

• 4 weeks later...

Great advice Adolf! Also pay attention to foods and drinks that are mucous producing because in the body in the winter months this thickens and is harder to clear out. That's why you need a cold...this clears blocked and high levels of mucous! Your body in the winter naturally wants clearing foods and usually we stodge up! Keep up the good work. Hopi candles are good too! love Hilary

Great advice Adolf, and Hilary. I'm going to buy Hopi candles as soon as this Virus wears off. Ugh.