Pre Vocal Nodule

Rate this topic

Rams

Good day all,

I am new to this site/forum and am in a bit of a pickle. I currently sing in a top 40's cover band overseas, performing 6 nights/week 4-45 min split between 3 vocalist including myself. I was diagnosed with pre-vocal nodules today. Bummer.

I have 6 weeks left on this contract, I'm contemplating leaving early for home and resting my voice as much as possible for the next 2 months, before next gig. Or, vocalizing properly without straining and limiting vocal use to only gigging at night. Any thoughts?

All input is greatly appreciated,

Thanks

-Rams

You say "vocalizing properly." Have you had lessons or therapy? And were the pre-nodules, as far as you might be able to determine, brought on by improper technique? Some of the rehab I have been familiar with is light vocalizing and lessons to change how you are singing in order to avoid further injury.

I assume you have been to a doctor who made the diagnosis. What did he say? His opinion would certainly matter more than mine, for example.

I would say avoid gigs where possible because that's where most people over sing and do the damage - performing, in the moment. Light vocalizing will help though, but only if it's done with correct technique.

As Ron said, I sure hope your doctor gave you some advice on how to continue from here, and if he did give you instructions on the next course of action for your voice to avoid further damage, please, for your own good, listen to the doctor's professional advice, or any professional doctor or vocal teacher's advice - not the advice of us random singers on a singer's forum...

You say "vocalizing properly." Have you had lessons or therapy? .

Yes, I went to a speech therapist and have been vocalizing a lot. I warm up/down, however the chord closure is pretty bad and I cannot sustain soft pitches. My voice is pretty bad and the breaks are very evident, my mix is gone. I think the best thing I can do is go home and rest (complete vocal rest) until the next gig in august. Then, slowly get my voice back to shape with proper technique and vocalizing which I cannot perform correctly now due to the pre-nodules.

I agree, rest, really light vocalises and a very light schedule of that. Because the tissue that has the nodule-like formation is membrane, not muscle.

Muscle, on average, repairs from strain in about 48 hours. It's how a body-builder accomplishes what he does. The alternate days. Lower body one day, upper body the next.

But the tissue of the folds is a membrane and a node is a callus, a toughening of it in response to repeated hard collisions, like fingers on the fretboard of the guitar. In the latter, you want calluses to develope for endurance.

So, good luck to you and I wish for you better and long-lasting health.

Thank you very much, I'm going for a second opinion on Tuesday. I do not want to risk my voice. I cannot properly vocalize so I feel rest is the best option. Being that I sing 6 nights a week, it's almost impossible not to sing and rest... Guess the only option is to bail the gig early with 6 weeks left on contract, for my voice.