One voice?

• TMV World Legacy Member

So I had some hours without anyone in the house and recorded some of my singing progress. It's certainly easier to sing stuff that was difficult before. My concern is that I hear my voice all over the place, in terms of tone. It doesn't feel consistent. I don't know whether this is me being overly self-conscious or not, so I thought I'd get some of you to help me out :DClick Me! You can also check my progress by listening to the other tracks in my profile.

Any suggestions on what to work on to improve is also very much appreciated!

I think you have a nice baseline for a signature sound but it really needs refinement. I would recommend learning vocal technique and working on creating the same sound in a more technically correct manner, which will ultimately give you the benefit of better pitch, resonance, and projection. You may want to separate your technique practice and your singing at first - so you do everything correctly in your exercises with no stylistic element or signature sound and then when you go to sing you just drop all that. But if you do enough of both, eventually you'll figure out a way to combine them so you can still get this cool tone and distortion you've got going here (if you like that sound), but augmented by the added power, resonance, and pitch control that proper vocal technique will give you.

Adoney: So I tried projecting more and the tone does feel more natural but still somewhat doesn't match the color I like to use with my chest voice (lots of compression(?)). I don't know how to explain it but I can't find the natural next step in that style when I go up to head voice.

Owen: Thanks a lot for the advice. Could you recommend some vocal technique exercises? At the moment, I only do lip rolls, sirens in 'ooh', dopey 'mum' and 'gug' (gug is the one i have a lot of trouble doing while mixing, so I work on this a lot).

Doing legato arpeggios on a bright "Lah" would probably help you most. And with this, the way you form the ah vowel is critical. Check out Phil Moufarrege or Marnell Sample's youtube channels, they explain this correct AH vowel formation very well. It is NOT how you speak an ah.

Whatever you do, be working open vowels (Aa, Eh, and Ay are some other good ones) on legato scales with bright timbre. Those principles will help you a lot more than the dopey stuff with consonants and the closed vowel siren. Get your mouth wide open as wide as you can (without hurting of course) and train like that through entire scales, no consonants, no staccato. It's a whole different experience that I think will help you get a better technical foundation down.