Ice Cream Man

• TMV World Legacy Member

I love this song. I have seen Diamond Dave do it in concert, and on his internet show. I raised it one whole step to a key that worked for me. Ain't nuthin' but the blues.

"Ice Cream Man" by Van Halen, lyrics and music by David Lee Roth

https://app.box.com/s/84bj19ndrelfhagbqnh4

Sounding good Ronws. Add this to your Camp fire List also. Before long you will have enough for a one man show at your local Campground.

I do not know how things are in Texas but around here it is easier to get a gig as a one man band than it is to have a full 5 piece band with all the bells and whistles(hillbilly slang) (cow bells and Saxaphones for the rest of you).

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

Sounding good Ronws. Add this to your Camp fire List also. Before long you will have enough for a one man show at your local Campground.

I do not know how things are in Texas but around here it is easier to get a gig as a one man band than it is to have a full 5 piece band with all the bells and whistles(hillbilly slang) (cow bells and Saxaphones for the rest of you).

Actually, I think it is easier to do that here, as well. Small pubs and restaurants. Parties, it's easier to set up. Basically, automation for drum beats, guitar run through a midi that drives virtual instruments.

Anyway, thanks guys.

Nice work ronws! You need to get the backing track for this song, because every time you sang "all right boys" I was waiting for the lead guitars, bass and drums to kick in! ;)

Keep on Rocking!

Hi Ronws,

It seems you recorded both guitar and voice at the same time right? I think that it would be a good idea to record them one at a time and use a compressor in your voice :P

I can feel that you really enjoy the music while singing. That's really fun to hear. I was just thinking about the high parts. It seems you are being sloppy there, like, it doesn't matter how it sounds, I just want to have fun. But I think it's a good thing for this music anyway.

Cheers.

Thanks, guys. Yes, beghelli, I recorded this all together on the Zoom H1. Sometimes, I record separate tracks sometimes I do this, my campfire edition. Because I have done songs like this at a campfire, in front of whoever is captive, either borrowing a guitar or using mine, if I have it with me.

And yes, the point of the song is to have fun. It is most certainly not opera.

Gneetapp, this is actually the second recording. The first, I tried an EVH kind of solo and butchered it. It died a quick and merciful death. And yes, I would love to do a full arrangement, to get that "full launch" feel we all know and love.

And I screwed up the lyrics and didn't care because I was having too much fun. I am a bad man, I've done bad things, I ride the easy path to Hell.

• 2 weeks later...

Havent heard the original. I would like more power/roughness/edge/light to medium distortion in your vocals especially in the first minute and in the high parts. Pitchy here and there but good performance overall.

I really like your voice in this kind of songs, Ron. Your voice is like.. funny! Comical and lighthearted :D Which makes your interpretation even more likable. As you know, quite a lot of big and famous singers have distinctive flaws that give them character. Your voice is kinda like that, and I can hear any song sang by you without knowing who is singing, and I will say immediately, "Ah, good ol' Ron :)" hahaha

The only thing that I can say, technically, is that there are some Ah's there that could be more open and with better adduction. I guess it's easy to fix if you are thinking about it, haha, but in the heat of the moment one just tends to toss it out and have fun.

( I noticed because I am currently working on that same thing, haha )

Keep up the campfire songs :P

• 2 weeks later...

Man, I could have used a handbag when I recorded the song. I did not have the pink cowboy that Daniel has and I think that affected everything.

:lol: