Drops of Jupiter

Rate this topic

https://app.box.com/s/64ijln4ebst74iaf566j

Tried this earlier, the ad libs during the last minute or so were challenging. Parts of it sound clippy for some reason even though I ran a compressor over the vocal track, but I couldn't figure out how to improve it. Any and all feedback welcome.

Your mix reminded me of the one I did for myself on "I Don't Believe in Love." I bit wooly and indistinct. Your singing was good and you've got more meat in the voice than the original singer, which I think is cool. But the vocals sounded like they were clipping.

Others have wisely critiqued my on me post-recording editing. And I am still learning. So, what I am saying is that I liked your singing and from what I could hear, you have great articulation.

Thank you Ron! I remember during this session I was reading the lyrics, trying to get a sense of the message, and then I started messing around with this different texture to my voice, and then I couldn't stop. But it felt really cool, really invigorating. I was really trying to stay away from airy vocals, and I guess my feelings for the song as a listener came out through my delivery as more compressed and pressurized. I'd like to do more stuff like this. A lot of the phrases were longer than what I've normally encountered, so it felt awesome being able to complete them and work on keeping my breath under control.

But-- I think I really messed this project up because I forgot to save it...though the clipping probably couldn't have been saved in the long run because I must have recorded the vocals with the input levels set too high. I don't know if I want to record it again or not. Gotta be more careful in the future and save everything!!

I cant give feedback about those clippy or mixing problem because i really dont have any idea how to do those things xD

Btw as a normal audience, i think your cover is awesome plus like rowns said your voice sounds more meaty than the original. So overall i really love it, and inspired me to cover this song too, at least someday. Because some part of this song is quite high for me :P

The mic input level is too high, thats why it sounds distorted - it is clipping. It would sound very nice if the mixing was a little more balanced. i'd try lowering the mic input level a bit. What do you use to record?

I use Audacity to record, and a Samson Meteor mic. http://www.amazon.com/Samson-Meteor-Studio-Microphone-Chrome/dp/B004MF39YS Not sure what to invest in that's better

I also use Audacity and have learned better how to use it.

Important thing is your usb interface. Try a few test tracks of just wailing away, no particular lyrics. Keep adjusting the output until it gets out of red. Also, in audacity, in the tool bar up top, you will see a microphone icon and a slider. Default is maximum, knock that down to about half. In digital, it is better to record below but no more than zero dB. You can always amplify a low volume signal. But if the original signal is clipped, it takes forever to clean it up and fix it.

Also, in audacity, you can highlight just a section of a track and do whatever you want to that, with all the effects shown under the effects drop-down. You don't have to treat the whole track, just whatever section you are doing. I did that recently. I used a dynamic mic and crappy mic placement. So, I went back and used "amplify" for each section of lyrics until it all sounded fairly balanced, volume-wise.