How do I get my Head voice to sound like this?

Rate this topic

franz12

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Extreme almost over-strengthening of lower falsetto. Idk if I would recommend this because some guys have mastered the other approach. Maybe someone could explain the training approach better... not that there is one.

Also this countertenor Mitch Grassi in a question asked by his fan "how do you sing so so high?" he replied: "Usually exercises way up high so I can maintain strength in my upper register." Tons of better videos of him I just chose this one cause its funny :)

I don't agree that it's range obsession in this case. I'm not even sure "obsession" is the right word, but if anything it's more like sound color obsession. The guy was asking "how do I get this specific sound?" which is a legit technical question and not asking the typical "How Do I extend my range?". Not the same thing.

Getting back to the original post........ Most men forsake their "Head voice/falsetto" because it sounds too girly to them. These singers have just embraced the girly sound and developed it. Most of us men try to make the high end sound more manly and strive to thicken and add more fullness and power to the higher notes. That is also why we have problems there when starting to train the voice.

Embrace that girly sound and go for it. :)

Getting back to the original post........ Most men forsake their "Head voice/falsetto" because it sounds too girly to them. These singers have just embraced the girly sound and developed it. Most of us men try to make the high end sound more manly and strive to thicken and add more fullness and power to the higher notes. That is also why we have problems there when starting to train the voice.

Embrace that girly sound and go for it. :)

Yeah, that gave me the image of Hedwig ("Hedwig and the One Angry Inch.")

Or, just as good, Tim Curry in "Rocky Horror Picture show."

"Cause I'm the sweet transvestite from transexual Transylvania.

Come up to the lab, and see what's on the slab. I can see your filled with antici -

pation.

Maybe the rain isn't really to blame. So, I'll remove the cause but not the symptom .!"

• 2 weeks later...

So I've been working on my head voice to get it like this but it doesn't sound full like the clip I posted.

here's me singing little bit of "La La means I love you."

https://app.box.com/s/c81h33qipi10hnjvjafn

• 1 month later...

Totally been waiting to see this thread!!!!!!!:P

Mitch Grassi's voice is a tough one to crack in my opinion. I'm not developed there so I feel extremely vulnerable singing there, I'd never attempt to perform in it !!! Resonant, powerful, agile, and smooth!

I'm going to see if just building the heck out of head voice will help!

He's been singing that way for a long time. I wasn't doing anything important in singing at 15 and he was just at a phenomenal level.

anotherreason, it's not just building the heck out of your head voice. He's singing in a mix almost the whole time meaning if you want that balanced sound of chest and head you're going to want to work both aspects - not in even proportions, but strategic ways to help your individual voice to sit more comfortably in that center between the two. And then once you find that center neutral mix you have to really learn to live there and give it both the awesome resonance and freedom of head but with the stability of chest underneath and that will take out the vulnerability of it.

that will get you close at least. but what a unique voice, definitely would be hard for the average male to imitate

Owen awesome response about building light heady mix, but in this particular case I don't agree with the mixing, I don't think he mixes the way you described it. Many times you can hear at the onset how he flips from chest into head (falsetto) and continues to sing in head. Also when he swells the volume and intensifies the tone I can almost feel in my own throat how there is a limit which he cannot go beyond the way he is doing it, because he is in falsetto (I think). Also, maybe by mixing you mean something else and I misunderstood :) But I don't think so... I think he just has developed his "falsetto muscles" so far to produce this kind of singing, but it is not connected to chest the way you described. The head is simply strong and flexible and has a lot of space in the back of the throat and resonates a lot. I think so!

Edit: Also it seems to me that he has stretched his headvoice very low into his chest range. There naturally chest starts to connect and add it's own tone, but it is still head. Very different from someone who just sings breathy and tries to imitate this through chest voice without the necessary head development.

Opaa I should have clarified I'm talking about anotherreason's link, not the Nick Pitera video in the OP. I agree Nick Pitera's sound is all just developed head voice. But do you agree that in the Mitch Grassi video annotherreason posted, he's singing in a mix most of the time though?

Oh totally. I didn't mean that literally. It's more of a way of speaking! I know it's a mix. It's how he belts there comfortably. I'm aware.

It'll require basically giving up pulling any chest, practically ever I think. Which inherently isn't bad but I love singing a littttttle bit heavy because the power is addictive. No more.... :) (ok maybe)

One of the reasons his voice is so difficult to emulate is because essentially he has a complete voice in that range. He had it when he was young and has had time to refine his resonance etc. and obviously works it out as a female. I'm recognizing that now. His register is built to sound female. He does that on purpose but he'll occasionally sound as masculine as another tenor which is a tell that he's incredibly savy in his head register (which is blended to a high degree) He can push on that thing. I can't (yet >:] )

Owen my bad. I missed that video, yes I agree with what you said about it, definitely.

About the original video, here's "Titanic" from the same guy:

At the end after modulation you can hear how his voice starts to crack, he wants to add power but it doesn't happen (at least this is how I feel about it). So for most people this kind of development would not be enough, he is just stuck with his falsetto :) As beautiful as it sounds... But I bet Adam Lambert could sing a beautiful headvoice version of Titanic and still belt the high notes at the end. That's a totally different level of development.

I'm after the sound of Abel Tasfaye as well, though I don't necessarily think I'd advertise or promote or endorse or suggest or consider any of his music considering it makes me feel splendidly icky. Something about being obsessed with ecstasy and oxycodone pushes the nope-o-meter over the line...

He has probably an even smoother voice than Grassi to be honest.

Yay for exercises above passagio one....