Developing Metal/Hard Rock tone

Rate this topic

Lavishous

I'm an avid metal fan and have recently begun experimenting with some of the high vocals that many of these bands use in the "clean" parts. I used to have to sing many of these songs an octave down due to my lower range but now that I can belt up to G4 with proper warm-up, I can sing some of them in the appropriate octave. I wanted to get some opinions on my tone on the recording I just made and what you guys think sounds pleasant for non-screaming vocals in this genre. Here's the recording, my parts are somewhat scattered and I only did the non-screams. http://vocaroo.com/i/s1W0eCZLCGwr

Hey!

I like your voice, man. You have a cool tone for this kind of music.

Do you want to develop a tone more like what singer? What voices do you like more? There are very different types of singers. Epic, dark ones like Bruce Dickinson, Epic Lyric/operatic ones like Fabio Lione, Bluesy ones like Jorn Lande. "Spready shouters" like James LaBrie from DT.

The finish ones like Tony Kakko, Marco Hietala.

Hardcore/Growl singers like Textures.

What kind of vocals do you like the most, and what do you mean as metal/hard rock tone?

Along the lines of the original topic:

How does Russell make the "Sons of light synthetic *dogs of men*" at 2:00mins? I mean, what configuration is that? It's overdriven, sure, but is it headvoice? It sounds chesty, and it sounds a lot like some sort of low larynx thing, to me it sounds "dopey?"

I love that sound, and another singer who sounds like he's doing the same thing is this dude:

It sounds a lot like Morrissey, like he doesn't really have control over his vibrato, he just lets it go, and that's what brings out the tone I'm looking for. Allen sounds more refined.

I have a few really cool exercises to find that sound if your interested. It's a combination of less air than full out singing but still solid full voice,vocal fry and what I call drug dealer voice. Hit me up if you want. I teach this all the time

I have a few really cool exercises to find that sound if your interested. It's a combination of less air than full out singing but still solid full voice,vocal fry and what I call drug dealer voice. Hit me up if you want. I teach this all the time

I sent you an email about this. :)

Khassera got your email and I was answering to you specifically . I call one of techniques I learn to teach it drug dealer voice but it's just a way to describe. This stuff is all learned by experiments but I have narrowed it down to a way of teaching it. It works for some people.

Now Geran your statement is kinda false for the fact of finding it with or without a teacher can happen all with in minutes if you find the coordination. It didn't take me years to find this I just stumbled on it trying to mimick and found one or two ways that worked,its like figuring out how to button a shirt once you get it you get it. Teacher or none. It's not like finding range or high full voice that takes a bit

Daniel, out of curiosity, you showed me the "drug dealer voice" once and I could do it on low notes but had a tougher time doing it on high notes. I haven't worked much on it recently since I've been working more on my clean voice, but do you have any idea why that would happen? Maybe you have some cool exercises to help hone that skill as well?

The one drug dealer voice I liked was Tone Loc. He was an actual gangster before his first album. Then, he realized, he could make living being a law-abiding citizen. He does voice acting in children's cartoons and played a cop, of all things, in "Ace Ventura: Pet Detective."

Now, that is a drug dealer voice.

"Wild thang....."