Mariah Carey - 4th of July

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hey guys!

I'd love to hear your opinion on me singing Mariah's 4th of July. I think it's such a beautiful song and while she's probably one of the singers most amateures shouldn't try to sing, I sing some of her songs quite effortlessly. And now I'm wondering how that sounds to others ;)

I discovered Audacity a few weeks ago and was playing around with it, I'm not sure if I profit from that on this song or not - you tell me :) so the background vocals are mine, too.

so please tell me if it's good, not that bad or if I'm totally off base with this - and please don't be too harsh, I'm just doing this for fun!

Now -hopefully - enjoy!

Mariah Carey - 4th of July http://picosong.com/P6Ag

Thanks in advance!

I was listening to the Butterfly album the other night. MC was a major influence as far as my singing is concerned.

The only problem I heard with this is that you aren't on pitch throughout the whole song, except for the lines "When you put your hand on mine..." which was closest to the original song. If you have a piano/keyboard or an app, try playing the original song and matching the melody of the vocal line as you sing, line by line. That should help!

"The journey in between what you once were and who you are now becoming is where the dance of life really takes place."
-B. De Angelis

My SoundCloud

thank you, Javastorm! the last time i posted a song, i heard the same thing: pitch is off. what exactly is meant by that? am i too high, too low, too flat, too...? or all of those things in different parts of the song?

Bay_Harbor_Butcher, i'm listening to your rendition of Open Arms right now and it's beautiful! Mariah's influence is noticable when you know it, but you don't try to copy anything from her style and it sounds great!

In general it was mostly flat, but there some instances where you completely changed the melody. The recording sounds really airy, and it would benefit from more breath support, but keeping the light head voice. From what I've been told this isn't easy to do but takes practice. Mariah does the same thing with her head voice which sounds really cool, and I think you can do it as well, if you gather more support and stay on pitch. Use the piano, or sing to the original song in unison as long as it takes for you not to hear a difference.

"The journey in between what you once were and who you are now becoming is where the dance of life really takes place."
-B. De Angelis

My SoundCloud

i tried to use your advice and sang along with Mariah and recorded it. while there sure is a lot i could do better, i don't think it sounds too bad - way better than the karaoke-version!

http://picosong.com/PE95/

what do you think?

and thank you so so much again ;)

This sounds a bit better, still shaky, but more focused. Keep practicing and working on the runs, singing along and matching the notes! :)

-B. De Angelis

My SoundCloud