Faithfully - Journey Cover

Rate this topic

Hi Folks.. Gneetapp, Ronws,Adoney etc

Please suggest areas of improvement.. This is an extremely tough song for me.. And it is an effort several months in the making. I have a much deeper voice than Steve Perry and it is always a dedicate balance for me to sing this song.

I am pretty happy with the output, but would love to hear from the experts on how I can make it better.

I am getting more accustomed to mixing and for this song for the end I have used more reverb(think the original song also sounds very washed towards the end).

Ronws, I remember your input about singing differently from spoken voice. I have gradually become more accustomed to singing this way and it renders well to certain type of songs.

I have a question, how do we improve the ability to take the headvoice as low as possible.. For me after a certain level, I feel that I don't have strength in my lowest notes..

https://soundcloud.com/aravind-madhavan/faithfullyjourney-karaoke-cover

Hey man, first of all, please don't think I'm some kind of expert in singing. We are in the same journey of self-discovery and singing!

I think you did an excellent job shedding weight off your voice, and your timbre really suits this song. Being a "semi-professional chest puller" myself I can relate to what you say about having a deep/strong voice. But I actually found out that my lack of technique had me fooled thinking I had a deep/low voice all these years.

As I said in the beginning, I think you did a good job with this cover, although you can still improve it. I may be wrong (usually I am), but I think in the first verses you sound like you were whispering bordering falsettoish. It didn't bother me as the song progressed and it sounded really good in the chorus. I don't know if you were still having problems in that part trying to sound light, but you can just keep working to be able to sing lighter/softer without flipping to falsetto, as I am improving in this area building the muscle memory for this light coordination.

Great job overall! :cool: Keep on Rocking!

You did really well. This is a tough song to do. And your vowels are getting cleaner, which is a good thing. You have a good ee. On the word "yours" when you get into oh the r at the end is detuning you slightly. I would stick with more of an ah sound. Y - ah - z.

Your breath sounds right and you kept a high and light touch, which kept you in the right placement, I think. And, I must say, you sounded american while doing this.

Your definately improving with each post it seems! You had the right placement and resonance for the song and the only thing I can critique is that on some end phrases you lost a bit of support and went a shade flat, but thats about it :).

Good job man!

You did really well. This is a tough song to do. And your vowels are getting cleaner, which is a good thing. You have a good ee. On the word "yours" when you get into oh the r at the end is detuning you slightly. I would stick with more of an ah sound. Y - ah - z.

Your breath sounds right and you kept a high and light touch, which kept you in the right placement, I think. And, I must say, you sounded american while doing this.

I don't consciously work on the vowels, so I am a little intrigued when you say that the EE's are good.. what can I do to improve my vowel sounds? I am very lazy to do any kind of scales, even for warm up.. I tend to warm up with singing lighter songs, move to songs that are on the passagio and then move to songs where power is required.. So, if there is something that I can do, like exercises and achieve a better control and getting warmed up, please let me know what I should do..

Gneetapp.. I am definitely not using Falsetto, just a very light headvoice, perhaps I can work on the closure and breath control to cut the airy sound. The other thing that could be a problem is how I have recorded it.. I have an untreated room(basically my bedroom!) in which I do my recordings.. I also tend to keep moving back and fro between the computer and the mic...

Wabba_treads.. That is classic me! Working really hard to get the tough notes and slacking on the relatively easier notes! I have a long standing problem with end of phrases and I have improved, but looks like I could do a lot better.. It just goes to show how difficult it is to be a really good live singer!!

Thanks folks.. your feedback is encouraging and it helps a great deal..

I don't consciously work on the vowels, so I am a little intrigued when you say that the EE's are good.. what can I do to improve my vowel sounds? I am very lazy to do any kind of scales, even for warm up.. I tend to warm up with singing lighter songs, move to songs that are on the passagio and then move to songs where power is required.. So, if there is something that I can do, like exercises and achieve a better control and getting warmed up, please let me know what I should do..

To me, it is not a matter of scales or how many or little of those that you do. It is doing the vowel right every time, which takes concentration, at least for me. I think you are already doing the right thing with vowels, mostly, and it shows because just about no accent in your singing.

Sound pretty good. If your goal was to achieve a lighter, softer sound then I think you accomplished that. This sounds ever lighter than Steves version.

I don't have any ideas to make it better other than keep singing this and sing it like you wrote it.

@aravindmadis

I think the tonality is pretty close! I wish I had a range like that... But I think you need more strength on the higher notes. It sounds like you are running out of breath, or maybe not confident enough up there. Just make sure you hit those notes like you mean it, with powah ;)

MDEW,, Thanks :)

Adoney, surely you are being too modest about your vocal skills :) When you are talking about range, are you referring to tonal variety? Surely you have a much larger vocal range than me :D

I am building strength to hit the notes with power.. Right now I feel that my voice will break if I try to make it more powerful.. maybe I am doing something wrong:(

The best advice I can give to people is "don't try to make a weak sound strong!"

It never will get there. If you want a really strong sound, you have to start with a strong foundation. ;)