Honest critique on my voice

• TMV World Legacy Member

I'm currently 17 and I'm just really looking for some honest input. How can I improve? I know I still struggle to reach my head voice without cracking...is there any good training I can do to prevent this or is it a waiting game? Anyways any criticism would be great:).

• TMV World Legacy Member

Alright. First of all, Kudos to you for posting this and asking for opinion.

Now, I'm not a teacher, but I have been singing since I could remember and did trained with several teachers. So nothing I say is considered the "final word of truth" or anything like that.

Now, getting to the point, your tone is very beautiful, but as you go up in range or power you get strainy and pinch in the sound giving it a scratchy sound. Compression is generally a good thing, but not in the throat. I would recommend you work on your support area compression in order to release the throat tension. Also, never forget diction. Some points I had no idea what you were saying, just work on starting the word and ending it properly, since what you hear isn't what everybody else does. The main thing here I wouldn't say getting into your "head range" as much as it is releasing any tension first using good support.