Voicetypes

Rate this topic

Jens

His "Christopher Walken" was okay but I liked better how Viggo does it. Sweden-born actor Viggo Mortensen plays a master cpo in charge of bud/S in the movie "GI Jane." And he channels Walken all through the movie. Even while quoting poetry from D. H. Lawrence.

"I never once saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself."

I love the Holiday/Sinatra section, and I completely at a loss to understand how that Shakira voice ends up coming out of his throat. But the Jeff Goldblum one immediately makes me think that the singer's natural voice just doesn't have the depth to pull it off :P

nah the batlle will never end! ;) but it's very impressive espescially the girlvoices

Correct the battle will never end. Some people have the physical make up that will allow for many voice colors and effects. But there are those who do not. I just can't believe that Neil Young could ever have the sound of Gordon Lightfoot no matter how hard he trained. Or James earl Jones could sound like Neil young.

Even in this video most of the male impressions still sounded like the same guy with the same vocal weight with the sound only a little distorted from different mouth positions. True that the Girl voices sounded like a different person singing.

Styles and effect can definiately be trained and give the feel of other voices. Vocal weight can be altered but the physical capability still needs to be there.

Best formula me and Phil have working on today is to get nice and bright in head voice/light mix and bring it all the way down, staying very bright on the bottom. Then going from a light chest to a light head phonation. I'd have to post examples.

But it's just simply that you have to keep it bright throughout and then slightly darken it in some areas.

I'm an R&B singer by the way too. I must admit it is hard as some songs demand belting but light or heavy sometimes and then the total opposite eg. Sam Smith.

I think he is like a voice actor who casts different characters.Not really singing,especially in those big fat male voice.

As for singing with female voice,I've seen some japanese internet male singers done that kind of stuffs years ago.

Like this one

One singer in the video named sekihan likes to imitate others singer voice.

The song he sing below supposed to be performed by jam project which has mulit singers,male and female.

He sings this all by himself.

In case you wonder how this should be

LIVE VERSION

I will say he is really good at mimic females soft timbre,

but he fails to sing those male who sing with more TA,power.

And his voice lacks resonance even in studio version.

The thing I learn from this kind of vid is if a adult male singing with his mature voice,it's actually harder for another to imitate.Those males who drop vocal weight and lack resonance is easlier to imitate.

Again,sorry for my English.

really interesting, and i agree, for most males it's easier to imitate steve perry's kind of sound, on the other hand tom jones's sound would be impossible for most males :)

edit:

i knew that video (sekihan&piko), but their sound is more towards anime cartoon girls, than adult woman-like sound, and yeah i know there are in japan adult females that talk like little girls, but i think that that is less difficult/complex that let's say imitate christina aguilera :P

Yeah,I think you are right geran.

I don't think all these guys can sings like divas trough.

Maybe they can sing some phrase exact the same,but not the whole songs,especilly those need high pitch belting.

@geran89

I mention diva because most divas can belt F5 F#5 with power (mid voice,maybe CVT EDGE with slight lower larynx

,just saying,some use curbing but not many now)

Not really seeing those japanese geeks who train a lot to sound like a female get any closer to sing that kind of stuff.

Especially those who change sound exactly like female,those who sounds like bisexual person has more success in high range female? belting imo.

Sure,male can develop female voice including belting,there are plenty of examples on internet.

But I feel that even you change your voice to a femaleine sound does't help to get extra high note beyond your voice cap,the mid voice range,or the CVT mode with certain sound color effetct,doesn't change that much.

For me,TA heavy coordination pretty much end around C5,my safe mid voice ends at B4,Bb4

(I like overdrive or edge with little dark,not with too bright nasal sound)depanding on songs.

If I use a less TA set-up,which most female does,of course I can go slightly higher with my head voice(some may call full voice,whatever),but that's pretty much about it.

Maybe males flageolet tension has something to do with this,I don't know.

Anyway,

I feel like there is some misunderstanding here casue my english is poor.I agree with geran.

Again sorry for my English.cheers

I think everyone can agree that voices overlap... and that there is currently no systematically proven way to train a female belting voice into a male and viceversa - people have to figure it out on their own. Have included some videos demonstrating some stuff from females so we can get a broader prospect of "voicetypes."

- great imitations from a female

- limited lower range

- great male impersonations

- low quality production

- some lol moments

Awesome vids you linked in, Jay. The first, really amazing.

The second, I liked her Tupac and Snoop Dogg. And her Elvis and Michael MacDonald.

We'll jay he didn't own me and I sing Katy perry tunes Donna summer tunes as well. no need to post them just skype with me and I'll show you live. You could to but if you keep looking for excuses as to why you can't well you will find them. You could do a lot with your voice you just need to trust someone and go with it.

Haha yeah im so owned now! :D

Guess that makes me a special supertenor and you guys are forced to lurk this forums forever dreaming of the range i have ;)

Thats a shame, awww

Haha yeah im so owned now! :D

Guess that makes me a special supertenor and you guys are forced to lurk this forums forever dreaming of the range i have ;)

Thats a shame, awww

Yeah, pretty much, that.

If you live long enough, you will get hoisted by your own petard a few more times.

But that is the beauty of your previous thoughts on the contrivance of human voice. Let's say that someone wants to train with a "20% Aguilera." I should avoid numbers like that because I know a bunch of youse guys are freaks for imagining the voice like a monitor board with dials and crap.

But anyway, so, regardless of best efforts, you never sound quite just exactly like her but who cares? I don't care and my opinion matters most, to me. Point being, you will get there by contriving. "Oh, but it feels fake!" Well, wake up and smell the coffee, it's all fake to a large degree.

I can do what sounds like to me an exact replica of Mutt Lange, who did a song countdown for Def Leppard by means of the nonsensical phrase, "unter glieben glauben globen." And really, he was trying to do an impression of Arnold Schwarzenegger, which I can also do. I do a pretty decent "run to the chopper, now!" And it doesn't matter if I am some notes or an octave higher.

I mean, sure, Jens, you got owned just a little for linking a video that turned out to be something else than you thought it was but who cares, your points are still valid.

Maybe we were all fooled by this (some of us anyway), but I do believe in the concept that Jens was presenting.

Our voices are pliable and we can create many sounds over a large expance. We mimic to a degree regardless of our so called "Fach".

I think part of our problem at times is trying to keep "True" to a sound ideal that is not part of our physical musculature. If you sound like Christopher Lloyd STOP insisting on sounding like Christina Aguilera. Embrace the Christopher first. Then work towards Christina.

i was playing around hoping to do this tune and achieve the rich raspy depth he gets in this vocal...but i can only get so close before my voice says to me "no buddy, i can't get it to that degree without hurting myself."

my voice keeps me in check.....lol!!! but i'll find another way to be happy with it...lol!!! we fight all the time....lol!!!