question about the bass singer range extension myth

Rate this topic

mpropelus

All:

Link to my article about developing the lower voice:

http://www.themodernvocalist.com/profiles/blogs/developing-the-lower-ranges-of

Its also available on the main site in the list of articles.

steve, great article...any possibility of recording the actual exercises being sung?

• 1 month later...

mpropelus - When I was younger, an experienced voice teacher told me that I can learn to sing in full voice the same high notes I could sing in falsetto. I had a hard time believing him at the time. I couldn't really sing full voice higher than a G4 at that time, but I could sing way higher in falsetto. Well, after the last 7 months of extending my range I'm up to a Bb5 in full voice (almost at saprano high C). This is actually alot higher than I could ever sing in falsetto when I was younger.

What is the highest note you can now sing in falsetto?

what kind of range extension training did you do? I can only do F# above Tenor High C in falsetto.

mpropelus - I used the KTVA method. It uses vowel modifications to get through the passagio. That consisted of scales and arppegios using different vowels including semi occluded. 5 or 6 days a week, careful not to push myself, and acheiving higher notes every couple of weeks or so - gradually. It takes some time. Once you learn how to sing through the passagio, you should be able to break into a head voice. the head voice can take you really high. You may be able to go much higher than your current highest falsetto note.

Geno offers good advice and , mpropelus, you can hear the proof of his abilities by hearing his latest edition of "The Wall: by Kansas, posted in the review section. I'm not sure if you are familiar with that band as some of us here are, especially people who have been interested in what is called prog rock and what used to be called fusion (named because it was a fusion of rock, classical, and some jazz.) Steve Walsh, the most notable singer of Kansas, aside from violinist Robby Steinhardt, is able to make his entire range sound "chesty," which made him so unique and totally different than replacement singer John Elefante, who had as high if not maybe a higher range but it sounded quite thin and piercing. Which is not a bad thing, either, just different.

Geno offers good advice and , mpropelus, you can hear the proof of his abilities by hearing his latest edition of "The Wall", by Kansas, posted in the review section. I'm not sure if you are familiar with that band as some of us here are, especially people who have been interested in what is called prog rock and what used to be called fusion (named because it was a fusion of rock, classical, and some jazz.) Steve Walsh, the most notable singer of Kansas, aside from violinist Robby Steinhardt, is able to make his entire range sound "chesty," which made him so unique and totally different than replacement singer John Elefante, who had as high if not maybe a higher range but it sounded quite thin and piercing. Which is not a bad thing, either, just different.