Jorn - Would appreciate some opinions :)

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hey :)

I've been training seriously since November by myself and progress has been non stop :P And have taken lessons with CunoDante these last two months and my voice has changed a lot with him. What I want to achieve ultimately is a voice with a lot of weight capable of doing very high belts like Jorn Lande or Russell Allen.

Also, I've been listening a lot of Jorn's solo stuff, which has a very bluesy feel and I really like that style.

This is a clip of practice today, a song called House of Cards by Jorn. I compressed the vocals quite a bit and then amplified all, loud stuff sounds too loud compared to the overall thing.

Let me know what you hear in my voice, if you like the style, the trills' execution, the timbre or emotion.. those are the main things I've been working on songs lately.

UPDATE ( haha ): Another clip I recorded before these two, it's a cool song. This one has a very bluesy feel.

And here is another clip, Worldchanger, but I was kind of tired so the highs sound a bit shaky to my ears, and are not as adducted.

Thanks in advance for any input, guys :)

Hey Xamedhi, I liked your tone overall, but I wish there was a backing track, as I don't know this song. Also, maybe it is because there was no backing track, but to me it sounded like you need a bit more power in the higher parts of the song. My band used to play Jorn's version of "Feel like making love" (Bad Company). Good job overall man. Keep on Rocking!

Hey, Gneetapp! Thanks for posting.

Well, the power in the high notes is basically what I've been working. Directly and indirectly by working a lot on my lower and mid chest voice strength.

I sing, though, after I have finished my vocal workout, which is like 45 mins including pauses, so I am kind of tired when I sing after it. And although it sounds thinner when I record due to this, during the exercises it is a lot more powerful and adducted. So when I sing I focus on doing it correctly ( the vowel, the resonance ). At my level I think that's acceptable (?), I don't wanna push too much to get the same sound I get rested.

If you notice, on the second recording when it says "Worldchangeeer, soul rearranger" sounds kind of shaky and thin at parts.

I'll record them again when I have more time :P

As for the backing track :c I can never find good backing tracks for what I like to sing, haha.

Thanks again, mate.

So, find good backing tracks, anyway. Or at least one that is close to what you want. I mean, I like your a capella recordings.

You have melancholy in your timbre, which already gives some emotion. I couldn't really hear the problems you think you have. Then, again, singers cannot "hear" themselves as others hear them and you are certainly welcome to ignore that bit of advice that is handed down from every singing teacher, ever.

You sing very well and I think it would be neat to hear you sing this against a track, even if it does not sound exactly like the original album. Or, find a band that will record the track you want. Here, that's not so much an issue, as we care more about the voice than an exact replication of the instrumental. At least, in my amateur opinion.

Then, again, I am spoiled. On "Heaven on their Minds," my brother played and recorded every instrument and I sang. It was the most professional experience I have had to date.

So, you need to get a brother like I have ....

:)

Hahaha, where do I buy one, mate?

Thanks for your input, Ron. It's nice to have positive feedback when you work your a-off everyday. I have a good repertoire of backing tracks, haha, but not necessarily songs that I love or that I already know, it's hard to find stuff from Conception, Jorn, Ayreon. I have a lot of low to mid quality of Dream Theater backing tracks, haha.

I record mostly without music because I am usually short of time. And that's the fastest way I can go from song to song, or repeat certain part that wasn't so well.

I am very perfectionist and OCD with some things, and the times I recorded songs with music I was like an hour recording just that one song, haha, and another 3 hours of editing, lol.

Good point, Xam. Finding a backing track from a Jorn song is not going to be as easy as finding any one of a million backing tracks for "Don't Stop Believing." I didn't think of that. So, my advice is not as helpful as I would like it to be.

Anyway, keep on rocking.

Hey Xamedhi, here's an idea that just occurred me and may be a nice practice for all of us who have problems finding the backing tracks for the songs from bands/singers we admire: what if you pick a song you like and try to sing it as your favorite singer, in your case, Jorn Lande. Don't you think it could be a really nice practice? Cheers and Keep on Rocking! :cool:

Haha, you mean, like any other song? Singing for example, Open Arms with the style of another singer? That sounds like a cool exercise.

Yeah! It just occurred to me! I like David Coverdale, so why not try to sing Open Arms like he would do it? This way you would get away of trying really hard not to sound as the original singer.

Hey! :D

First things first, it's easy to hear that you're a good singer with a lot of potential. I just have two questions that has struck me when listening to you:

1.You utilise a distinct legato quite often. Is that part of your developed style or just something that's "been there"?

2. I don't know your voice or your training regimen, but what would you say if I told you that it sounds like you're bridging too early?

You have a great voice.. I'm not familiar with the material, but you sounded good doing them. I believe you need to use more of a diaphramic support method to build up more power, But besides that.. well done..

Cheers,

David.

Thanks for the input guys! :D

Well, I have been trying to blend more each phrase to the next one, so it sounds more "musical" as I don't have a backing track, haha. Is that what you mean? Or you are referring to a thing between syllables more than from word to word?

Also CunoDante told me to practice onsets ( in my scales and in songs ) with a slight fry, because I was very used to do glottals, which are risky for my adduction I think ( I could blow too much air(?)). It helps me carry more weight to the high notes. And you can definitely hear that when I do glottals high, they are not as adducted as they could be from a fry, or having a lower phrase before.

Now, I am trying to "bridge" as high as I can, while singing. For now it is between the G and the G#, and I can blend better the tone quality. I can do pure chest A's and A#s, with very good adduction, but they sound shouty as hell, and twanged like Amy Winehouse, lol, and it is very tyring over time.

I try overall to not think about a bridge though, and only think about modifying the vowels correctly and bringing more weight higher and higher. Though when I am tired, like in Worldchanger, I "bridge" or lighten up too early.

Thanks again, guys :)