steve perry singing blues

Rate this topic

VideoHere

Hilarious emoticon!

So as long as your are here on the technique forum, I've got a question about your early vocal development. By a young age you mastered vocal technique, and as we all know, this takes serious practice and dedication. Did you have help from voice teachers? Or did you do this on your own?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

problem is CVT terms has changed alot, what many once called curbing is now medium overdrive :P so the terms ur using now is obsolete

Good point Jens... I recently had a discussion about the ever changing and evolving cvi mode terms with a cvi teacher and it's getting a little bit out of control... You can never categorize every possible vocal color! It's absurd to think you can... You can only create generalities, as far as acoustic vocal mode pedagogy goes.

Having just recently finalized the new TVS acoustic modes, which are now offered in "Pillars", I have personally lived

Through this. In TVS, we are referring to our modes as "acoustic modes" and there are three; edging. Curbing and neutral (Tvs neutral is not the same as cvi neutral), in Tvs when we say neutral, we mean central resonance ... More similar to Tamplins "ah" for resistance, strength training.

The Tvs acoustic modes are oriented around the resonant placements of the vowels; forward, central and back. Keeping it simplified... and wow, it's really kick ass! It has totally changed the gMe in terms of understanding vowels and how to tap into more resistance and strength training... Seriously guys, my voice is really taking off

To a whole new level from getting more clear on resonance and musculature. Which means, so are my teachers and students... I digress... But I'm just pumped up about the new Tvs acoustic modes.

In regards to Steve Perry, no... He is not shouting at all! It's a tenor voice with great musculature, but his vowel shadings are more tuned to "ae/a" and splatty positions to get a brighter , prettier ping and color. It sounds light mass and a bit heady, but it's actually heavy, isolated twang musculature phonating through brighter, prettier vowel shadings.

I've listened to it, and to return to what was discussed in the original post- I don't think he has bad vocals for the blues. Blues singers come in all shapes and forms...

I did had one major issue - it felt like he's over doing it. The funny thing is that the man who expressed it really well was standing right next to him: Albert King. When Albert recorded with Gary Moore who always used to play on 'burn' he allegedly told Gary - 'you play too loud and too fast. Think ten notes, play five'.

To me, it was even more evident in this clip with Steve's singing...

Right on, Johnny! He did do a lot of flashy runs in that song which can be a double-edged sword in the blues.

I was trying to say the exact same thing but you said it best, less is certainly more :) Other than that, Steve still sounds great.

Albert King said it. Not me - I just took notice. :-)

Always felt that Hard Rock and different Metal styles are the right place to show your virtuosity, Jazz-Fusion may also fit here. Blues (as well as many other musical styles) usually works better with 'less is more' and being 'tasteful'.

• Administrator

Hey guys, I think I owe you a bit of an apology... I didn't realize there was a video of Perry singing the blues... I just watched that clip... Bob, I have to disagree, that was great kick ass blues singing... he sounds killer... just further validating for me what a special talent Steve Perry is.

Isn't the whole vibe around the blues to not have rigidity? "The Blues" is a lot about expression, not tone. Perry totally kills it in this clip... its awesome.

Isn't the whole vibe around the blues to not have rigidity? "The Blues" is a lot about expression, not tone. Perry totally kills it in this clip... its awesome.

Exactly. I listened again - He isn't overdoing anything here. There are no excessive flashy runs. He's in the pocket the whole time. Just listen to the phrasing and rhythm - he never ever rushes and is locked into the moment. Absolutely great improv. And like some of the great blues singers, his pitch is dead on.

I think it is just that we're used to Steve singing the Journey songs...and then we hear him sing the blues...and it is different. You have to close your eyes and pretend you never heard him before. The guy is an extremely talented musician.

• Administrator

Steve Perry is unmatched by all others, frankly speaking. He may be, the greatest rock , pop singer I've ever personally experienced in regards to all round talent, ability to stand out and his inspiration to singers around the world. There are other great singers , put them all in a bucket... Perry stands alone among greats.

And that is what I tried to say, earlier. Perry can sing the blues. Not that I would normally associate it with him but Journey did the blues. Like this song.

And give Steve some props. Only he could get away with singing the blues while wearing pants that must have been sprayed on and wearing a blouse.

And give Steve some props. Only he could get away with singing the blues while wearing pants that must have been sprayed on and wearing a blouse.

When you hear the term "Blues" you have an image in mind. You picture a man or woman who has been working hard to get the money (and often failing) putting up with all kinds of crap to make their mate happy only to find out that the mate has been catting around with the deadbeat drunk down the street. The image or voice of Steve Perry does not come to mind.

Again give props to Perry because if you close your eyes while listening, that feeling does come through. At least in the Video presented.

And I agree with you, too, MDEW, and even Bob, that blues usually brings other singers to mind than a crooner like Steve Perry.

Such as this guy.

And I can see where SRV is playing BB's pattern, known in blues circles as the BB Box. It's the A-bar chord pattern of notes, centered around the fifth.

And yes, blues is a feeling.

I am not saying that the Blues is exclusive to anyone. You just do not expect a goodlooking, talented, somewhat weathy person to feel that bad. Can it happen? You betcha. :cool:

I am being misunderstood again. :o I can't even clarify myself without being accused of being a stawman so I defer to all of you........ :| The Blues is a good man(or woman) feeling bad. No matter what lot in life they are given.

E Cm7 Fm7 B7 E E A E7 B7 E Em7

I've got the Low down dirty, brokenhearted Stawman blues.............

MDew I understood what you wrote perfectly. Whether what you wrote is what you intended to communicate is a different matter.

But regardless, keep on singing them low down, dirty strawman blues!!!

I was thinking through ways of explaining myself and imagining the responces...... That is where the strawman comment came from. It's all good. The more I try to clarify the worse it gets.

i'm still trying to understand post #57, how geran thinks the only difference between steve perry and micheal bolton or lou gramm is creak....

hey, steve perry is an outstanding vocalist....i just don't think blues vocals is his strong suit. that particular tune was just a little too "nice" for my taste.

in the words of tina turner..."we neva, eva do nothin' nice and easy.....we always do it nice and rough."

steve walsh had the high voice like steve but he went and dirtied things up at times......steve perry never sang dirty.

LOL! Totally... Bob Loves Lou, Bob knows what love is... !

I think you are right. And I have questions to ask.

I want to know what love is.

I want you to show me.

Love that you feel inside ....

I want to take a little time

And take a look around me.