Hollywood Sign - Scott Grimes

• TMV World Legacy Member

In this one I tried to keep it talking-feeling (cept that gets harder once it got to E.) I'm pretty sure I'm a tenor of some sort, but it's harder to get that high in speech volume and I still have trouble with A4 and higher in full voice... but anyway!

Hollywood Sign

Also, acapella voice (no effects) of it in case you want it for better judgment or something.

Acapella

The actual song - Hollywood Sign - Scott Grimes

I was last here probably a year or two ago (wonder if anyone remembers), and I'm pretty sure the last song I did was another Scott song because I'm obsessed. Anyway since then I've had some lessons, but also hard times with money and moving and long story short I'm not taking lessons anymore.

Any feedback would be great. One problem I noticed while doing this was during the choruses I ran out of breath a lot

And the final sustained yell sounds goaty.

Interesting Song. Didnt know the artist before.

For your cover: Nice tone, you captured the sadness for me quit good in the slow verses.

In the choruses there is a odd thing going on: and the moon will raise. For me you lack a lot of fullness. Like you said your support is lacking there. Try singing it with the voice from when you see someone across the street and when you "shout" "heeeeehhhy!" to them to make them notice. What do you mean with speech volume? It seems odd to me to keep quiet in a song like that. To me it feels like your are more talking then singing on the "raise".

The funny thing is on "roar" you have a much fuller sound and it begins to sound more like the sound of the original. Also the last scream seems also much fuller to me but also kind of strained. Work on that feeling of fullness.

The reason it gets harder on E is because the sound wants to get louder. Not in a shouting manner or pushed or anything. Its just the harmonics that would make your sound flow through the room (maybe there is a better more technical explanation. But the point is: Dont be afraid to go louder than speak but also stay relaxed down in the throat). To me you seemed kind of too restrained there.

My feedback would then be to pratice your support. Try the wind and release onset from TVS. Its windy "heys" and "huhs" and really feel your breathing mechanism down in your belly come alive. I think the points I noted would be resolved if you would let go of the idea of speak-singing in terms of loudness and volume (of course it should be as tension free as speak but not the same in total) and would work on your support.

Just my 2 cents. :)

Hey Lucca, thanks so much for your review! And glad to introduce you to the artist!

Sorry I haven't gotten back to you in what I think is 2 days but I'm been extremely busy and sleepy (I work overnight) just like I am now so I'm not even going to attempt to sing. Weird thing is that when I'm singing it outside of my little "recording booth/closet" I don't find I have as much difficulty. I'm not sure what's different, maybe it's the listening through headphones vs just doing it, maybe it's because I don't follow tempo when acapella in everyday life.

I will try the things you've said, but what is TVS and what do you mean by the windy heys and huhs? And you don't think this is a speak-singing type song?

I'm working on getting a small mirror in said vocal booth so I can practice more efficiently too.

Maybe it has to do with the mixing of your voice but the chorus sounds to me in the original much bigger purly in terms of volume of the voice. Of course the singer is making the sound smaller after a few seconds but the beginning of the chorus to me is relativly strong. So if you practice the heys and huhs (literally singing "hey" and "huh"/ and TVS aka the four pillars of singing is the singing programm from Robert, the owner of this forum, its great :) ) it will help you get more into calling mode and therefore get more volume and tone in your voice. In the verses the singer is really relaxed but also has a bit more volume than you and in the choruses he has a bit more power than you there.

I hear several backing vocals in the choruses and your chorus version sounds to me like one of those backing vocals, not bad, but also not lead vocal. Try to be a bit fuller in your sound. Thats what I hear in the song at least.