Little A Capella cover of Beyonce's Halo!

Rate this topic

Hey,

Since my last post I have been trying to improve myself. Better way of breathing, being less breathy e.t.c.

So I'd really like some critique about this tiny cover.

Please just say anything that pops up in your head, every little bit of information could help me really a lot! :)

here is it: https://soundcloud.com/filling-emptiness/halo/s-6kriQ

Here's my older post: http://themodernvocalist.punbb-hosting.com/viewtopic.php?id=10181

Sorry to say but it is still really breathy the first 50% of the time. And to me it sounds as if you are holding back. Are you afraid to get loud? You have a nice tone so dont worry too much.

You sang this song so low that you reached the bottom end of your range. Try to aim the sound more forward in the low end also. I think somewere below your nose in the roof of your nose is the best spot to aim it. That will help also a bit with the breathyness on the low end.

Do you know the orginal Ryan Tedder demo of this song? That is for example a man singing the song.

Maybe try something that lays really really super comfortable and also not too low?

For me (and to me your voice sounds a little bit like mine) that would be for example Sunrise Avenue "Farytale Gone Bad". With a comfortable song you can really pratice to close your cords more and lessen the breathyness. Also it will improve your resonance.

There are a few parts were you had a little bit of more resonant singing in this cover. For example at 0:23 "haloHOU". With the "h" you activate your breath support more. Work on that feeling.

Keep going. :)

Sorry to say but it is still really breathy the first 50% of the time. And to me it sounds as if you are holding back. Are you afraid to get loud? You have a nice tone so dont worry too much.

You sang this song so low that you reached the bottom end of your range. Try to aim the sound more forward in the low end also. I think somewere below your nose in the roof of your nose is the best spot to aim it. That will help also a bit with the breathyness on the low end.

Do you know the orginal Ryan Tedder demo of this song? That is for example a man singing the song.

Maybe try something that lays really really super comfortable and also not too low?

For me (and to me your voice sounds a little bit like mine) that would be for example Sunrise Avenue "Farytale Gone Bad". With a comfortable song you can really pratice to close your cords more and lessen the breathyness. Also it will improve your resonance.

There are a few parts were you had a little bit of more resonant singing in this cover. For example at 0:23 "haloHOU". With the "h" you activate your breath support more. Work on that feeling.

Keep going. :)

Thanks for your feedback! This is the type of critique I like, because it helps me so much :)

I will still keep on trying to be less breathy, and I'll make sure to take a listen to the demo.

Hi! :) First of all, I guess you should rise the pitch of this song about 2 or 3 semitones.... on the beginning it's really too low for you. However, I think you have a beautiful voice: of course without backing track and without fx it's 'naked', but I really appreciated your choice to ask criticisms showing you voice 'as it is': it's really remarkable. I really enjoyed your song. :)

I noticed that in this song, like your other post, there are times when you flip into falsetto. While I think I think you do a good job of negotiating between the two different ranges, ultimately, flipping into falsetto is going to be a crutch that you'll need to try to overcome. Instead of flipping into falsetto, try singing those notes in your modal voice (or chest/head voice). When you go for those notes, really go for them with power. You can try shouting them as an experiment, just to get to know the sensation. I don't recommend sing/shouting as a general rule for actual performance, but it's just an experiment to get you to understand how high you can really sing without flipping into falsetto.

The tone does still sound a little breathy. Part of it is the range of the song, just like Lucca said. So finding another song that has a higher tessitura will be good for you overall. Not trying to be condescending here, but just in case you don't know what tessitura is, tessitura is the area of your range where the song spends the most time. The range of the song is how high and how low does it go. This song has a fairly low tessitura in the beginning. It moves to a higher tessitura at the chorus. Try to find a song that is more in that part of your range.

Again, you're doing good work. So keep it up!:)

Hi! :) First of all, I guess you should rise the pitch of this song about 2 or 3 semitones.... on the beginning it's really too low for you. However, I think you have a beautiful voice: of course without backing track and without fx it's 'naked', but I really appreciated your choice to ask criticisms showing you voice 'as it is': it's really remarkable. I really enjoyed your song. :)

Thanks! You're the only person who thinks that way though :P, because other people told me my voice wasn't that great haha. As for the pitch, I'll try it! :)

I noticed that in this song, like your other post, there are times when you flip into falsetto. While I think I think you do a good job of negotiating between the two different ranges, ultimately, flipping into falsetto is going to be a crutch that you'll need to try to overcome. Instead of flipping into falsetto, try singing those notes in your modal voice (or chest/head voice). When you go for those notes, really go for them with power. You can try shouting them as an experiment, just to get to know the sensation. I don't recommend sing/shouting as a general rule for actual performance, but it's just an experiment to get you to understand how high you can really sing without flipping into falsetto.

The tone does still sound a little breathy. Part of it is the range of the song, just like Lucca said. So finding another song that has a higher tessitura will be good for you overall. Not trying to be condescending here, but just in case you don't know what tessitura is, tessitura is the area of your range where the song spends the most time. The range of the song is how high and how low does it go. This song has a fairly low tessitura in the beginning. It moves to a higher tessitura at the chorus. Try to find a song that is more in that part of your range.

Again, you're doing good work. So keep it up!:)

The reason for that is because when I do them in my full voice, I get really loud and maybe even screamy. But I think that's just because of my limited range. But I'll pay more attention to it.

I'll pick a better song next time then haha. I don't know why but for some reason I really like to sing that low, it feels really good.

Thanks again for your feedback :)

always helpful

Thanks! You're the only person who thinks that way though :P, because other people told me my voice wasn't that great haha. As for the pitch, I'll try it! :)

ahahhah well... I never read other comments before writing.... maybe mine is a 'first impression' listening, while others already know you, so I pay attention to the overall result while others focus on specific issues or problems that you were already working on. In other words: to someone who never listened to your voice, for me it sounds good...... :)