Sleep and singing

Rate this topic

jco5055

Hey guys, I was just wondering, how sleep deprived/how many hours of sleep per night do you feel is needed before your technique suffers/you lose some of your range etc?

Now this isn't about me personally, as I'm not running on 4 hours of sleep a day or anything, but I'm just curious how much a person should REALLY be focused on getting x amounts of sleep to prevent injury etc. I personally get ~7 hours a night on weekdays, but I'd prefer 8. It's just that I know most places say 7-8 is optimal so I take the 7 so I have an extra hour each day to be productive. I know some people (in fact a lot of famous/successful people) can run off of 4-5, but not me. By Friday I often am tired because of the 5 hours I've missed that I could have got sleeping 8 or more a night. I blame my active CNS which always helped me in speed for sports or lifting heavy weights but is easily affected by variables such as lack of sleep. Once I'm financially independent and get my own place etc and can pretty much tailor my schedule however I see fit (barring work and other necessities of course)I'm going to strive for 8.

I'm pretty sure Rob's so busy that there's no way he's getting 8 a night, and I think maybe Phil(?) has mentioned that he only needs 5 or so, but again I'm just curious so I know where to cut myself off to go to sleep even if I'm having a great songwriting session etc.

Thanks.

I try to get no less than 4 hours of sleep. Any less than that and I risk falling asleep at a wrong time, such as driving. But, for optimum use of voice, 6 - 8. And I find that my voice does better in the mornings or right after sleep rather than at the end of a long day.

There are indications that the ammount of sleep that each person needs varies, the 7 or 8 hours rule is not true for everyone, I for example feel like crap if sleep less than 9 hours, I know people who sleep 4/5 and are good to go.

That of course depends on how tired you get during the day and etc. But anyways, you should feel recovered and rested when you wake up, if not, its likely you are not having enough sleep, or, not having a good quality of sleep. This will have a negative impact, specially if its habitual (you never sleep properly).

There are times when I am driving to work where I think I have nodded of and it is constant battle to stay focused. I have natural ability to drive but still, it helps to get sleep, when possible. I make jokes about getting some extra sleep while driving, like everyone else, but really, it can be scary.

My natural cycle is to be up all night and sleep half the day. But that does not pay, at all. What pays me well is getting up at 4 am so that I can be at work before 6 am. I rarely get away from the office before 4 pm. The drive to work in the morning is a shade less than an hour but going home in the evening can be 1.5 to 2 hours. Plus, sometimes, more work once I get home, dealing with company business through emails and city websites. But, basically, I try to be in bed around 10 pm. On the weekends, I am lazy and may sleep until 5:30 am, enjoying the luxury of that.