My first song post

• TMV World Legacy Member

As liberal as I have been about posting critiques, I guess I need to be willing to put myself out there too. So here it is.

Your critiques, feedback, thoughts, suggestions - all welcome :)

The Aspiring Singer
Resources and inspiration for aspiring singers - from beginners to professionals
www.theaspiringsinger.com
Twitter: @theaspiringsing

Wow lovely interpretation/cover! I really liked the tone throughout and you really sounded like you meant every word. :)

The only thing is that you were just a tad bit flat when the key change happened around 2:01. Were you listening to the music with the headphones or your own voice? For some reason, I've found when you listen to music with earphones in while recording yourself with the same song there is a tendency for the voice to get a little bit wobbly with pitch, I really don't know why. Whenever I record I always put my voice in the foreground first, with the music in the background instead other than the other way around just in case that happens.

Anyways, hope that helps, I'm kind of a newbie to singing too compared to you, but its just something I've encountered with recording. You're a huge help to everyone around here Aspiring Singer. I wouldn't be surprised if you're going places soon :) Awesome job! Sorry for the long post/lecture, its unlike me lol

Thanks for listening! And thanks for the feedback.

I was listening to the karaoke track (no voice) with the headphones. I chose to do that so that I could record my voice on video without the background track getting picked up by the microphone. And then I put the background track into iMovie. It was definitely a little bit harder to hear my own intonation with the headphones. Or maybe I just have pitch problems. Ha ha! I could hear the pitch problems after I spliced it all together.

It was fun practicing and recording. I haven't sung solo in public in years. Too busy trying to help everyone else sing :)

Who knows, maybe I'll put myself out there sometime.

The Aspiring Singer
Resources and inspiration for aspiring singers - from beginners to professionals

It was good! I enjoyed it and thought you had a really nice tone. My only criticism is that I wish you had taken more risks. I felt like there were a couple time where you were going to push a bit more, but then held back...maybe because of how/where you were recording? But overall, really nice job!

Gneetapp - Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed.

BlackieJane - Good point. A little risk taking is always good. Believe it or not, this recording was a little outside of my comfort zone. I'm classically trained and I'm a high school chorus teacher, so improvisation is not one of my strong suits. The little riffs that you heard here and there were very much rehearsed. But I guess that's were we all start, right? And, to your point, that's probably what made the whole song sound more conservative and less risk-taking-esque. I appreciate the feedback. I'll definitely work on pushing myself a little more in that regard.

The Aspiring Singer

Good job.

A technical point for recording. Something I learned and it helped me. When monitoring with headphones, they have what is called a "near-field" effect. as if you had near field monitors right next to you. what happens is bass tones in the accompanying music become more prominent. And this tends to pull you down because your parasympathetic nervous system is doing exactly what it is designed to do, matching your pitch to what you hear. So, if you are hearing too much bass, your voice will pull down to match. The easiest fix is to sweeten the treble of the mix while you are singing. Later, you can balance bass and treble mix back to something more suitable.

Before I got my m-track interface, the easiest way for me to avoid dropping pitch was to pull one (left) ear off, pan hard right and make it a little trebly.

Strengthlegacy - Thank you so much!

ronws - Thank you for the recording tip! I'll definitely give that a try next time.

The Aspiring Singer

It seems that "Crazy" is the ultimate showcase for a womans voice. This seems kind of odd because a lot of women end up singing this flat and do not even realize it. You did very fine job on this. And thank you for posting this. It is good to hear that you take your own advice as well as give it.

I posted my own rendition of Crazy about a year ago. It was more on the lines of Willy Nelson and had the words of Pat Donahue. Lets just say the song had a whole different meaning. :D

Keep singing and let us hear more from you.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

Thank you all so much for listening.

Keith this song has always been at the bottom of my range. Of course, every single time I practiced the low notes, they came out fine. But when it comes time to recording, well, you know the rest. I know there's an online pitch converter, but I was too lazy to search for it. :lol:Does anyone have any suggestions?

MDEW Yep. This is my karaoke standard. Can I hear your unique version of the song?

The Aspiring Singer

I did a search and found MDEW's old thread but the link shows that the file has been removed, as in, soundcloud cannot find the file.

So, MDEW would have to upload it again and provide a new link.

Thank you all so much for listening.

Keith this song has always been at the bottom of my range. Of course, every single time I practiced the low notes, they came out fine. But when it comes time to recording, well, you know the rest. I know there's an online pitch converter, but I was too lazy to search for it. :lol:Does anyone have any suggestions?

MDEW Yep. This is my karaoke standard. Can I hear your unique version of the song?

Sorry to disappoint everyone but I cannot find the file either. I was sure that I saved it somewhere but I just checked my external hard drive and it is not there.

Thanks Ronws for checking also.....

Soundcloud hates me and I often have to remove songs and reregister.

But to get an Idea search for Pat Donohue CRAZY on youtube. Never mind I'll do it for you. He kicks my butt but do not tell him I said that. :P

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

Good job.

A technical point for recording. Something I learned and it helped me. When monitoring with headphones, they have what is called a "near-field" effect. as if you had near field monitors right next to you. what happens is bass tones in the accompanying music become more prominent. And this tends to pull you down because your parasympathetic nervous system is doing exactly what it is designed to do, matching your pitch to what you hear. So, if you are hearing too much bass, your voice will pull down to match. The easiest fix is to sweeten the treble of the mix while you are singing. Later, you can balance bass and treble mix back to something more suitable.

Before I got my m-track interface, the easiest way for me to avoid dropping pitch was to pull one (left) ear off, pan hard right and make it a little trebly.

I am definitely going to implement the treble suggestion next time I record! thanks ron.

@aspiring singer: I thought it sounded great. I am going to echo the previous comments about pitch but it would be hard for anyone to stay in pitch with headphones in without really getting to hear yourself.

You really have amazing control of your voice and a very sweet tone.

Win7 - Reaper - Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 - [url]www.adammishan.com[/url]

As liberal as I have been about posting critiques, I guess I need to be willing to put myself out there too. So here it is.

Your critiques, feedback, thoughts, suggestions - all welcome :)

Aspiring Singer, I love it! You have that smooth, jazzy voice just like Norah and it goes so very well with this song. I don't know how to use technical terms to describe this but I like the way your voice stays mellow when you go into the high notes in the song, something I've always admired in Norah's singing. I am a huge fan of her and would love to hear you do more covers of her material. I actually cover "Don't Know Why" pretty frequently. "Sunrise," "Turn Me On," and "Come Away With Me" would suit you really well. Very well done!

SLM Thank you so much!

Aaron I really appreciate the comparison! I love Norah Jones' music and her style. I'm sure you could already tell, but this song is in the bottom of my range. My sweet spot is much higher, but all the jazzy women, including Norah, sing low. Men are always trying to sing high and women are always trying to sing low. What's up with that? :) I'll try some more of Norah's stuff. I'd like to hear your covers of them too, if you have them on video. It's always good to hear someone else's interpretation. Thanks for listening!

The Aspiring Singer

Hmm Sarah Bareilles? "Gravity" is a beautiful song. Norah Jones does sing low but I thought you handled it well. Yes, I guess we all want what don't have haha. Singer's envy is so easy but everybody has something unique to bring to the table and that is what is important.