Weak head voice and terrible bridging, Too much strain between E4-G4

Rate this topic

PobertBlant

Hello guys, Last time I posted a thread when I discovered my head voice. Now I've gotten to the point where I want to build on it and make it sound good rather than weak and basically un-usable. Please listen to a vocal sample and tell me what errors I might be making and what I should be working on ?

P.S When I sing 'End of passion play, Crumbling away---' in the end, I have to REALLY belt it out and use an 'uncomfortable' range of my voice (E4-G4), because it's neither too low, nor too high, it sounds like i'm yelling here, and it just sounds terrible and ugly. Most of the intense thrash and metal singing is sung in this area, please tell me how can I make this range comfortable to use, without strain and make it sound good so I can then start working on the tone of the sound to improve it. :|

Vocal Sample:

http://www.reverbnation.com/pobertblant/songs

[This sample is so embarrassing god...]

Not enough strength in that area with the sound of it.

You're really strangling the sound there. It doesn't sound like you're yelling to me just really really throaty and strangled.

I do head voice exercises on AA, AH,EE AND OO. Pure head from G5 down to C3. I make sure I keep it nice and bright as I go down, not hooty, bright, bratty. There's 4 or 5 scales I do.

As for those notes that sound really strangled, hold back the air but not in the throat, keep it in your belly. Confusing I know. Sing up and back. Also maybe look into vowel mods.

You're really strangling the sound there. It doesn't sound like you're yelling to me just really really throaty and strangled.

Correct, I do get the strangling feel.

can you sing that clean?

This is about the cleanest I can manage without trying repeatedly and singing cleaner by chance.

your approach is completely off now, it was better in your old file. i would recommend seeing a vocal coach who has learned from scratch how to sing in the style you want because at the moment you don't seem to be improving.

and i guarantee they will tell you to start with lower pitches and clean phonation first so you should probably work on that in the meantime. your technique lacks foundation and that is the reason you are getting this uncontrolled distortion. you have to learn to sing completely clean up and down your range first with no breaks, then when you decide to add distortion you will be able to control it.

your approach is completely off now, it was better in your old file.

Hello Owen, Yes I purposely sang completely 'exposed' to highlight all the problems I am having, though when I sing I am able to cover up some of the problems. Anything at and below F4 is comfortable for me to sing and sounds great. Anything above that sounds terrible.

i would recommend seeing a vocal coach who has learned from scratch how to sing in the style you want because at the moment you don't seem to be improving.

The problem is I do not have any vocal coaches in my region.

lol. but isn't it easier to hear correct technique from a horrible example than one that's too perfect? I mean... I can "listen" to a well executed performance but only infer a small amount from it.

that means your vocal ear is weak which means you don't know correct technique in the first place

great vocal teachers will be able to notice the most subtle mistakes.

I've been singing for 6+ years, literally almost everyday. I have a pretty damn good ear for voices, adduction, or what levels of phonation someone has.

I remember everytime that I was able to improve my understanding of the mechanics in relation to the tone and figure out exactly how far along someones adduction is. this isn't a new concept for me.