Restriction when supporting

Rate this topic

Jarom

If I focus on my breath and support and sing all day I usually dont feel any unneeded tension in the throat, but.... sometimes I feel like supporting brings in some tension in the thought and alot more air comes through then needed. I'm wondering if maybe this problem happens from supporting to hard? is it possible to support to hard? on other side not when supporting vibrato comes out on part of the note but goes away near the end do to restriction

I support by pushing down and out kinda like im taking a crap

you shouldn't have to poop to sing. You inhale, and phonate as you exhale. It's a lot like casually holding your breath, just phonating instead of holding.

As far as supporting long and fast phrases, it's just a matter of quickly inhaling on the correct rest, or like one of the videos said, break up the phrase into certain parts. There's always a place to put a 'rest' even if you are singing at like rap style speed. When your belting up high, your diaphragm will tense up naturally so you don't really have to force it to do something.

i've been studying and researching this topic a lot lately (again).

not a lot of singers and teachers may agree with this, but i'll mention it because by writing about it, i reinforce my own knowledge of it....lol!!!!

you don't poop to sing, but you might want to consider expanding down below all the way around and learning to maintain this expansion throughout a sung line.

you will also benefit by doing some breathing exercises which will strengthen your lower core muscles. i am a proponent of working to gain complete control over the rise of your diaphragm. karyn o'connor (singwise.com) talks about the need to develop an "inspiratory hold." maybe you want to read up on it, maybe you don't.

and by no means am i saying this is the only way......

i like to take breathing past the point of just supporting, to where you gain complete control over the air that gets put up against the vocal folds.

if you want, read up on the "the farinelli breathing exercise." it's a good one to develop this control.

one particular skill that often gets overlooked or not even mentioned or considered is to work on the ability to take short, very quick breaths and to able to take them so fast that the audience doesn't even know you took a breath. or you take a breath, to power or punch into a note. and that's anywhere in the song without breaking up the legato line or losing timing.

one singer that really had the breathing skill down was (you guessed it) lou gramm. when you sing with this kind of control it's as if you are singing on the gesture of an inhale......

so the feeling of emptying out gets replaced by a feeling of "suspension" of a "buoyancy." singing in this state relaxes (not tenses) the vocal tract.

i have been using this technique in my performances and it has helped me so much.

for example, to practice this technique just take a simple line of a song let's say the star spangled banner

you would likely sing it as (breath) oh say can you see (breath) by the dawn's early light.......

now try singing that same song intentionally inserting additional breaths...

you might sing it as (breath) oh say(breath) can you (breath) see (breath) by the (breath) dawn's early (breath) light.......

developing this (advanced) ability to takes these super quick breaths, gives you the skill to hold back air, supply just the right amount of air, without bombarding the folds with unneeded air pressure.

this technique helped me immeasurably to sing a song like "the search is over" by survivor.

again, not everyone will agree, but it has really benefitted me.

glad it interests you.

practice using them, yes. but also realize this ability will be there if you need to call upon it in your singing as farinelli often did.

it seems to me this catch breath ability is certainly not mandatory, but it clearly used by some greats if you really watch them really closely.

now the thing that's hard to explain is what these ultra fast replenishments do for your singing. you kind of have to experience them at different intensities and different pitches for yourself.

in this tenelli video at 8:04 to around 10:30 is a student doing a pretty demanding exercise to help develop this. this has to been done on one breath. if you try them you begin to sense such an openness in the throat and nothing gets tensed except down below.

again, this is pretty advanced stuff....and is by no means mandatory. in fact, some songs require it of the singer and he may not be aware he is doing this to sing the song.