distorted tone easier than a clean tone

Rate this topic

Jarom

The more I have sung over the years grit has become allot easier to the point where on high notes a distorted tone is much easier to sing than a clean tone. I feel no pain and no fatigue so im not to worried to much but I thought I would just ask, should distortion get easier over time to the point that a distorted tone is easier?

The more I have sung over the years grit has become allot easier to the point where on high notes a distorted tone is much easier to sing than a clean tone. I feel no pain and no fatigue so im not to worried to much but I thought I would just ask, should distortion get easier over time to the point that a distorted tone is easier?

Have you always had a distorted tone and find that singing clean was more of a burden than just relaxing into your distortion?

no i didn't have a distorted tone until I started looking more into technique. After I started supporting (which was something I never did when I first started) and compressing with twang insted of my swallowing muscles grit naturally game very easy

what felipe said.

it's not supposed to be easier than singing clean.

make sure you have clean singing down too or you will limited to having to sing everything with grit.

btw just because you feel no fatigue or pain right away doesn't mean the technique is sustainable and healthy. be careful before assuming your distortion is ready for demanding performance situations. distortion can really tear apart the voice if done wrong. test drive it for progressively longer lengths of time and see how your voice holds up.

Singing with a distortion sometimes brings the arytenoids closer together easier because of sub glottal compression and also I believe it retracts or contracts (I forget)the false fold which helps. However going down this road can lead to not being able to clean it up. I had a pretty famous rockstar student who came to me with this problem and wanted to be able to sing the Steve perry notes like he did when he was young I was able to help him by making sure he didn't add as he climbed but stayed in a clean configuration without adding si glottal compression on the top which can make it easier

please remember to go back after the show and do some warm downs to restore flexibility and resiliency to the folds.

do some nice, easy, descending slides, some light, clean things, knock off some top down lip bubbles, falsetto slides on "ee" and "oo" ("oo" has a way of restoring, my suggestion) to bring them back down. no talking, hydrate.