Journey - Open arms & Crimson Glory - Eternal world

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hi! I haven't been posting stuff like this in a while...

So, I've been practicing on softer, more emotional singing:

Journey - Open arms

I'm still not really comfortable with my tone; I think it sounds ugly, but I've become better at accepting it.

Feel free to tell me what I should work on to get better! :)

For people not knowing/remembering me, I will add something I did just now:

Crimson glory - Eternal world

I was just outside "feeling it", so it has loads of errors etc, but it displays my main purpose with singing; creating an unique, heavy voice which stylistically blends heavy metal with death metal. It sets the perspective of how bad I am at singing soft and emotionally haha!

Please type your input on the mixed voice I was trying out in this clip as well. It's very chesty and gritty, but I feel it it connects quite well with my voice. Does it need to be brighter or is it cool?

Also, the phrase "There's no time for prayin'. Feel your soul; it's pleading" (2:22) felt sooo good to sing; acing it like that right off the bat! :D

Open arms: Sounds Epic!

Eternal World: Also sounds epic.

You seem to be able to mix above C5 - which is crazy awesome. Also, you are REALLY good at applying varying degrees of mixed voice , which is also awesome. That takes a ton of control man. you're a profoundly good singer. Every time I listen to one of your covers, I find myself thinking "if only I could sing like that"..

www.drop-head.com

Open arms: Sounds Epic!

Eternal World: Also sounds epic.

You seem to be able to mix above C5 - which is crazy awesome. Also, you are REALLY good at applying varying degrees of mixed voice , which is also awesome. That takes a ton of control man. you're a profoundly good singer. Every time I listen to one of your covers, I find myself thinking "if only I could sing like that"..

Really nice to hear (except that part about you becoming a bit "down")! :)

But yes, I have different mixed voices I use at different times, but none of them are perfect haha!

I liked what you did with with Open Arms...I like the contrast between the airy soft lows and the solid Highs.

I cannot comment on the other. Not my style and I do not know good from bad. :/ But it did sound pretty cool.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

Familiar only with "Open Arms" and thought it sounded amazing.. In fact I loved it so much that that I checked out your other songs..

I have always wondered if it would be possible for great singers to sing something completely different. Like for e.g Bruce Dickenson singing something like "Open Arms" or for Steve Perry to produce the intense powerful delivery of a song like "Run to the Hills".. Whether great singers can seamlessly shift from a chesty powerful sound(like Freddie) to a soulful mix voice(like Steve Perry).. I have always felt it should be possible, since skill is skill, but I have never come across someone who can do it so well

Before I heard your covers that is.. You are a truly special & an incredibly versatile singer.. I am sure you hear it a lot.. :D

geno Thank you for your kind words! :)

I think my development of this kind of distortion is mostly due to the fact that I never had a teacher instilling me with fear of getting hurt haha!

MDEW I'm glad you enjoyed the contrast! I know I comitted a bit of a singing faux pas by singing very airy, but I thought it would be a cool transition! :) Haha! I don't blame you for not "getting" the other song. It's a miniscule niche, but it's what I enjoy!

aravindmadis Haha! You actually made me blush a bit by reading your comment. Thank you! :D

I've had that thought as well, but I think it mostly has to do with their "artistic scope". The people you referred to have/had singing as a profession, and that comes with liabilities which probably prevent them from straying too far so to speak.

The Crimson Glory cover - Wow, amazing, it fits your raspy tone. I could kill to get that kind of raspy tone. My rasp is a little different and comes with tons of support, i use the false folds i think, you feel your rasp in the soft pallate, right? The "Open Arms" cover was good too, but i didn´t like it as much. I think it was because you used more of a "shouting" mode in the chorus, the "come" and "open" sounded more like Overdrive than Curbing if we use the terms of CVI. I could be wrong. The soft tones sounded killer. Great Job! BTW have you done a "Painkiller" cover, Enander? I would love to hear that.

Excellent stuff, Enander. I don't know why you are not already recording professionally and publishing.

Get yourself a lawyer, pay copyright, and release your cover of "Open Arms."

I didn't know the other song but if it was a screw-up, your mistakes are better than most people's most dogged and concerted efforts.

Olem Thanks! :) Actually, it depends on which grit I want to accomplish; sometimes I use the soft palates and sometimes the false vocal cords (I think I use both when I really "grit it up" haha).

Haha! I don't know the difference between curbing and overdrive, but I get the gist of it and I understand where you're coming from. The reason is I wanted a rather big contrast between the verse and the chorus, so it was an artistic choice :)

I've never recorded Painkiller, but knowing that's something of a Rite of passage I ought to, I know :P

ronws Thank you very much! :) I keep hearing that, and the reason is that I don't want it to become a liability (a job). I've spent most of my life getting a really fancy education so I will focus on that. Singing (well, atristry) is what I lean back to when I need to "get away" :)

Well, I was off pitch, had bad timing, "lost" some notes and failed some timbres. I'm a perfectionist so I get hung up on details quite easily :P

Olem Thanks! :) Actually, it depends on which grit I want to accomplish; sometimes I use the soft palates and sometimes the false vocal cords (I think I use both when I really "grit it up" haha).

Haha! I don't know the difference between curbing and overdrive, but I get the gist of it and I understand where you're coming from. The reason is I wanted a rather big contrast between the verse and the chorus, so it was an artistic choice :)

I've never recorded Painkiller, but knowing that's something of a Rite of passage I ought to, I know :P

ronws Thank you very much! :) I keep hearing that, and the reason is that I don't want it to become a liability (a job). I've spent most of my life getting a really fancy education so I will focus on that. Singing (well, atristry) is what I lean back to when I need to "get away" :)

Well, I was off pitch, had bad timing, "lost" some notes and failed some timbres. I'm a perfectionist so I get hung up on details quite easily :P

Okay, so record and release as an artistic expression. If you make money from album sales, fine. If not, fine. One of the owners of the company I work for is, among other things, a published author of fiction. Only one book but it scratched an itch that he had. Nor does it make a lot of money for him. But any sales, of course, is better than none.

I am in the same boat. I am too old to be a rock star. My job pays way better and more consistently than being a rock star. But I still envision a professional recording and release in my future, even if I never get the monster tour schedule.

• 2 weeks later...

Damn you've got a great voice! Loved both songs. Total vocal control in Open Arms, I really like the softness of the song, and those slightly edgy highs were total perfection in my ears. I don't think you should do it any different.

Awesome distorsion in Eternal World too. Love the aggression! You've got a super connected voice all the way. Congrats!

Man, that was outstanding. It sounded absolutely nothing like Steve Perry, and that's just fine. Your impeccable dynamics and choice to dress the song up your own way is what made it totally work here. I would venture to say you could sing this anywhere, and NO ONE would complain about it not being a clone of the original. Your rendition would stand on legs of its own.

Now, MY only complaint is that you didn't finish the song! :lol:

I've never been skydiving, but I've zoomed in on Google Earth really, really fast.

Hell yeah man. Great job. Steve Perry would be proud of the "Open Arms" rendition. Great vocal control. The Crimson Glory cover was rad too; I was happy to see another fan of the band, and to tell the truth, you sound better than CG's vocalist. Keep up the great covers man.

-Nathan

This is crazy good… I haven't been following the forum or your posts but you

sound like a natural born singer.

Both performances sound incredible and even if the Crimson Glory is a bit raw, it's still a 100 times

better than what most people can do.

If you recorded the backing track by yourself for the Crimson Glory, would you mind sharing the raws ?

Cheers,

Than