Alter Bridge - Open Your Eyes cover

Rate this topic

Attempting some Alter Bridge.

I know it's not perfect, but I was pretty happy with the distortion parts at least.

I'm trying to work with my voice to get less narrow on the top right now. Would like to be able to sing it more open.

(Btw. I haven't made the music for this backtrack.)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ng0zbmpfvv84hiq/Marcus%20-%20Open%20Your%20Eyes%20cover-01.mp3?dl=0

Hey Marcus, I just took a listen. I really did not like it much man.

I felt a lack of attention to the song structure, I think you are trying to use the right energy, but it´s a bit lost, there are like 4 different "kinds" of voices on the song. The lows are a bit prog metal, some stuff sounds like early Mike Patton (you should keep that, I really like it), others more pop. It´s not homogeneous, makes sense?

And despite all these variations, there are problems on the melody line and rhythm, this breaks the whole song no matter what you do.

I agree it needs to open indeed, and not just the highs.

Hope it makes sense!

Thanks a lot for the honest input! I see what you mean with different voices. At the moment I feel it's hard to make my belting and mixed voice (or curbing) blend. I think I can keep my belting pretty open and chesty if I stay there, but if I want it to blend with upper registers I gotta lighten it up. This song moves a lot between lower and higher registers.

I might still be twanging too much I guess. Trying to tone that down at the moment.

I'll take a look at the melody lines again!

Thank you for your time!

I absolutely LOVE this song - so it is annoying that my speakers have just died and can't listen to it! Looking forward to checking it out tonight though. Myles Kennedy is a hell of a singer, so this will be a very hard song to do well. Will have a listen later and post my feedback :)

Gneetapp, thanks for your feedback. I actually liked the pre-chorus the least in this recording. Felt I couldn't get it like I wanted it, sort of strained. And I was really happy with the chorus and the distortion I managed. Maybe cause I've had massive problems to initiate distortion earlier. Now it's getting a lot easier. People like different stuff though, and I really appreciate your input!

mccallanan2007, would be nice to hear your opinion since you like the original song. It's definitely not easy material to sing. I wouldn't wanna do this live on stage (at least not yet), but was a nice practice and workout. Especially since it moves from low to high notes. Quite a span.

My review is not so technically oriented as Felipe's, though he was certainly illuminating and quite precise, in some ways.

I liked what you did but that requires a qualification of my statement. I liked Myles with Altar Bridge but I did not spend that much time listening to them. I have listened more to Myles since he has been working with Slash during the last several years. In fact, I remember thinking before that when Slash had Velvet Revolver, the music needed Myles more than it needed Scott Weiland. Nothing against Scott, I just felt that was a mis-match.

And so, Marcus, I like your version as much as the original, even with your different voices thing going on.

And I appreciate getting to hear your low end. Some nice bite, down there.

Thanks Ron, always nice to hear (or read?) from you! Thanks for the nice words.

I think I've always been able to add a lot of weight to my lower registers but it's lately I feel like I'm getting a vocal colour there that I actually like myself. Still hard to make it blend with the top though, that's what I really wanna work on. Wanna keep some of that weight when going for the top notes, so I'll have a more even voice. "one voice", you know.

I love the first two albums with Alter Bridge. Haven't listened as much to the new ones, or the stuff with Slash. It's not bad, but haven't really caught my attention as the first albums did.

• 2 weeks later...