Who Knows - Avril Lavigne - Vocal Cover

Rate this topic

I tried something a little different with this cover. I sang louder and not quiet like I have in my previous videos. So it sounds a little different then I normally sound, I want critiques on it, I know I can be better if I keep practicing :) leave comments and suggestions :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_mWzKjrUf0&feature=youtu.be

A little flat in spots and I think I know why. Same reason your timing is a little off. Because you listening for the phrase and Avril's line. If you can find a karaoke or instrumental of that, try it again, with just your voice.

Also, stay with pure vowels. Ah, eh, ee, oh, and oo. The singing voice is different than the speaking voice. But you have good volume and a great tone. But I think singing along with the fully produced track is pulling you off, just a little.

Excellent song and a good match for your voice.

As for timing, anticipate the beat by just a hair. Know where it is, rather than waiting for it. That is one of the things that trips me up, too, when singing against a pre-recorded track.

I think you hit the notes quite well, but I can hear that there's this deeper sound just waiting to burst out and I feel like you're kind of holding it back. Maybe practice to sing a little bit louder and try to get rid of all the breathiness. Then I think your voice would sound much richer... you can always add breathiness to this pure sound where necessary, but try to open up to the sound more first.

Maybe try to imitate an opera singer for a while, overdo it even (like open your mouth more than feels intuitively right, make faces that match the emotion of the phrase you're singing etc.). The goal is to sing something like a satire of an opera. After you've done that for a while, try to add some of the qualities of that voice into your singing voice to make it sound less like speaking the notes and more like really singing them with power.

You have great pitch, all that is lacking is a little more resonance and power so you can deliver a more dynamic performance.