Am i in chest or in head voice?

Rate this topic

David_kylie

Im really not in the clear with the whole chest head voice and idk if im gettting in head.

These are octave sirens from g3 to g4 (im sure the technique sux but just for the sake of finding my head voice bare with me :P)

https://app.box.com/s/gj0bise3fovfxv7funp9

https://app.box.com/s/st6ve2epgs9l0ma7vqzp

Edit: also this doesent hurt or anything and its bassically effortless..no pain no strain

Well it's not pure head voice, I can't make out if you're dipping a bit into your mix in the second one, but the first one sounds all chest voice to me.

Let me note that i was kinda restraining there because i cant actually yell now in house so thats maybe when i went a bit heady but ussualy i would do it like the first one...

Also should i take that as a good sign that i can go full chest up to g4 without straining or any discomfort even after a while of singing like that?

And sry for being noob..i just got into singing and im extremely passionate about it so im excited with everything :P

Words of advice from pro singers who have had careers spanning more than four decades:

1. Get plenty of rest

2. Hydrate

3. Do what it is your voice can do, don't try to do what it cannot do. (Whatever it is that you do has to last for several decades in all kinds of conditions.)

The second part of the second sample is closest, it's not quite in your head resonance, but that's headed toward the right sound.

Head resonance is a very weird sensation to describe but basically it should feel like you have unlocked easy access to a few more notes of range, without leaving the fullness of chest voice. Then that process repeats every few steps as you cross several bridges or resonant shifts in the voice.

You may have to leave chest voice at first just to find that released sensation of unlocking new range but once you get that down you have to go back learn how to shift resonance without releasing too much weight - finding the release within your full voice and then carry up the full voice through that new resonance pocket.

One thing that might help to think about is the sensation of the back of your throat being stretched vertically both upwards and downwards and shifting the resonance backwards at the same time, starting several notes before the G4. But shifting back it's not like it's obstructed or caught in the back of the throat - your throat should just feel very open and tall in the back so the resonance has room to be placed there. It's more of a "pillowy" cushioned feeling, not clamped into a narrow pocket, it's a very vertically tall feeling. But you don't want to feel like you are have left your full voice for something lighter just because your throat is so open and relaxed, it should feel like you've just shed a tad of weight off of your full voice because the resonance is more cushiony.

At the same time you never want to feel like you are projecting the sound upwards/forwards/outwards like a yell, when going through the passaggio.

It's quite a balancing act.

With the terms that I follow and with the feelings I get when listening to your clips, I would call them both headvoice but different vowels.

What happens if you go higher?

At A4 im ussually screaming my lungs off and break alot...i pop into falssetto or sound like Zed from police academy :)

Words of advice from pro singers who have had careers spanning more than four decades:

1. Get plenty of rest

2. Hydrate

3. Do what it is your voice can do, don't try to do what it cannot do. (Whatever it is that you do has to last for several decades in all kinds of conditions.)

Sry but i dont see how thats related to my question :PP

At A4 im ussually screaming my lungs off and break alot...i pop into falssetto or sound like Zed from police academy :)

Don't push or strain, you'll end up hurting yourself. It's about shifting resonance, as Robert Lunte would say. The resonance placement should get deeper as you produce a higher pitch. The resonance will produce and ring and give you volume: it's pretty counter-intuitive at first, but with practicing the right way you'll get it.

Don't push or strain, you'll end up hurting yourself. It's about shifting resonance, as Robert Lunte would say. The resonance placement should get deeper as you produce a higher pitch. The resonance will produce and ring and give you volume: it's pretty counter-intuitive at first, but with practicing the right way you'll get it.

Actually after watching Lunte's free vids im able to get up to A4 WITHOUT straining but i just cant control it...but it seems to be because im in my chest voice and i guess that preety high for chest register but im getting better every day...i just want to access my head voice so i can continue to grow.

Id also like to thank all of u and Robert Lunte for this forum...its amazing for people like me thats starting out <3

Sry but i dont see how thats related to my question :PP

Sounded a bit zen, didn't it? Jabroni's answer was closer to what I was aiming at. It may or may not feel like chest or head to you but if it is something your voice is comfortably doing, that can be a good sign. Hence "do what it is your voice can do, don't try to do what it cannot do."

Which still may not be helping much.

Sounded a bit zen, didn't it? Jabroni's answer was closer to what I was aiming at. It may or may not feel like chest or head to you but if it is something your voice is comfortably doing, that can be a good sign. Hence "do what it is your voice can do, don't try to do what it cannot do."

Which still may not be helping much.

This is where u are wrong Ron...EVERYTHING helps :) and ty so much to everyone...every piece of information means great deal to me...im very passionate about it and as a 20 year old i dont feel old or that its too late to develop my voice...

Then the best help I can give is to find a system or book or source that best speaks to you. The biggest difference between a lot of systems is the type of descriptive words used to explain a concept.

Bridge early, bridge late, curb, M2, lift up and pull back. Something, somewhere, will give you images that are immediately intuitive to you.

Me, I am not so good with a bunch of terms. Which does not mean that I am not technically minded. I am, in my job. But singing, the simpler it is, the better it is for me. I used to think I knew everything. Now, I have learned how much I don't know. In fact, sometimes, someone will ask me, how did you do that or did you do this thing there? I have no idea. I was in a "zen" state.

Problem is, I have been singing a long time and so whatever difficulties I have had faded into the mists of time. And I stay zen a lot of the time. Every day, my voice is new to me.

Actually after watching Lunte's free vids im able to get up to A4 WITHOUT straining but i just cant control it...but it seems to be because im in my chest voice and i guess that preety high for chest register but im getting better every day...i just want to access my head voice so i can continue to grow.

Id also like to thank all of u and Robert Lunte for this forum...its amazing for people like me thats starting out <3

After some practice and experimentation and hearing what others have said on this forum, I wouldn't go too much into saying "this is chest/head voice and that is not". Think of it as one voice with each pitch occupying a different resonant pocket. When you feel and hear that ring and everything is open in the vocal tract with no constriction, you probably have it right. The vibratory sensations that you feel can really tell you if it's "right" or "wrong". Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm totally off base but that's the way I try to view the situation.

After some practice and experimentation and hearing what others have said on this forum, I wouldn't go too much into saying "this is chest/head voice and that is not". Think of it as one voice with each pitch occupying a different resonant pocket. When you feel and hear that ring and everything is open in the vocal tract with no constriction, you probably have it right. The vibratory sensations that you feel can really tell you if it's "right" or "wrong". Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm totally off base but that's the way I try to view the situation.

So, basically, do what it is that your voice can do, whatever that is. And don't worry about what it cannot do. I think I have read that before. Hmm, where was that ... it's right on the tip of my brain ....

ah, well ....

Well i tought that learning to access my head voice would speed up my progress so i dont belt higher notes...tought i should be learning how to bridge...guess i was wrong..thanks

No, you were not wrong, you just have to do it all correctly. Actually it's not that we don't want to belt, belting is great and healthy we just don't want to literally shout/yell, we want to sing with control and head resonance so that we are released from tensions that put a ceiling on the range. Your sound samples are not way far off from healthy covered belting you just need to practice it more and find a more released resonance. You will know it is right when you can sing higher without straining or flipping, which sounds a lot easier than it is, but that's what nearly all vocal students train for!

IMO "do what it is your voice can do" is only about performing. When you train, you need to push yourself forward by facing new challenges after you've learned easier ones, or else your voice will not grow.

Thats what i tought Owen...ty...i want to find my head voice so i can develope it... sometimes when i sing hihh notes i can feel wierd sensation in my skull..like my head will explode if the sensation continues..i guess thats maybe head voice...either that or im gonna pop a vein :)

And just to qualify my statement about "do what it is that your voice can do," that is not just me being "lazy." That was the advice of Ronnie James Dio, Bruce Dickinson, Ron Keel (a friend and touring partner of RJD,) John Bush, Geoffrey Tate. Guys that have been singing longer than a lot of members here have been alive.

Which is not to say that you cannot explore what your voice will do. By all means, find the limits, the scope of your voice. All of these singers, if you honestly look at their careers, they only sang the songs where their voices were the strongest, which was NOT every song ever published in the history of mankind. That is, they probably could not morph their voice as much as some others can. But, to quote Corey Taylor, "individuality is the key to immortality."

But what does he know? He's only had lots of success as singer for Stone Sour and Slipknot. You know, a couple of small "unkown" bands. What could he possibly know?

"do what it is that your voice can do," sounds very contradictory to what i understand as training. In singing, yes i agree...but in training i think that doesent apply... and if u dont strain in singing and u dont do anything harmful to your voice, then u are bassicaly "doing what your voice can do".

that's correct David.

You will find that if you train correctly you will find out you can learn to do things with your voice that any normal person would think couldn't have been developed.

If I trained with "do it is your voice can do" in mind I wouldn't have found my my true head voice, extended that an octave from it's starting point, added several notes to my chest voice range, learned to bridge smoothly, learned vibrato, etc. All of these things I once could not physically do on any given day. training helps you discover new ways of using the voice you didn't know existed. i really find it annoying when some coaches would say "oh well you can't do such and such with your voice, it's not healthy or it's not possible for your voice type" because while they are saying that, guaranteed, other people in the world are doing it and teaching it. I'm always looking for those kinds of vocalists who worked hard to learn the hard stuff to learn the truth of what the voice can really develop and this forum is a great place to find that

"do what it is that your voice can do," sounds very contradictory to what i understand as training. In singing, yes i agree...but in training i think that doesent apply... and if u dont strain in singing and u dont do anything harmful to your voice, then u are bassicaly "doing what your voice can do".

That's why I mentioned in the last post to also explore what your voice can do. But I did not express it as strain or pushing, which I guess, allows others to ignore that part of the statement just so that I can be disagreed with and be shown how little I know about singing.

I'll quit wasting your time, then.