Van Halen - Love Walks In

• TMV World Legacy Member

Or "Van Hagar", if it matters.

Getting back into actual singing lessons (woo!) trying to sing one of their power ballady things here. Since it's mostly vocal demo, didn't put much detail into instruments.

Trying to force more power into it via diaphragm. No idea how he does it and my teacher is also stumped. Anyway...

(If you just want the acapella (with drums...) skip halfway through the track.)

It's done in some takes, 1 and 1/2 verses are double tracked (stops doubletrack around 1:09), and the last one was phoned in in falsetto. I think I'd have a closer sound to him if I could somehow combine the falsetto texture into the power of the supported fullish voice. But that's just an idea.

So yeah, help please?

For the record, here's his version. Listen to how damn effortless everything is, if you're not familiar with it.

Thank you!

Believe it or not, when Sammy joined the band, Eddie actually proposed changing the name to Van Hagar but Sammy refuted it, pointing out that name recognition would be necessary, aside from all the van hagar comments that were bound to follow.

Your "falsetto" parts, was that on purpose? Because I was thinking that your voice was getting tired from pushing too much and going falsetto allowed you to finish.

His voice is difficult to match. He has always had that sound and didn't do anything special to achieve it. He sounded that way with Montrose. On his own, as the Red Rocker. Then, with Van Halen. And now, with Chickenfoot, a band of his friends Chad Smith (RHCP), Joe Satriani, and Michael Anthony, fellow Van Halen alum and fellow victim of the Eddie effect.

You sound stronger and better in the full voice version and I think you should stick with that.

Thanks, and interesting facts ron, yeah, it doesn't change the fan split on the band, that's for sure!

And the "always had that voice" part, well I mean, he joined Montrose in when he was ....26, right? What did he sound like before all that? Did he have lessons? Did he have weaknesses to smooth out?

And yeah the last verse being falsetto (did you call it "falsetto" because it wasn't really falsetto?) was on purpose because I wanted to see how that would sound. I said I think if I could combine the falsetto with the fullish voice it would be a closer voice take to his. I'm not even sure if he yells like I'm doing it or he's got very high gain on the mic...

My voice was getting tired in the beginning but after warming up and doing it a couple times it got more sustainable. Plus the chorus is always a good break from the above A4 stuff.

Now....Dreams, on the other hand (that's the one I'm practicing with my teacher) is a killer.

Btw, if I'm having trouble on songs like these, am I not a tenor? Or would these just be considered difficult for anyone?

I read Sammy's memoirs and I don't think he was that old when he joined Montrose. And he did not mention voice lessons or singing trainer programs. You have to remember this was the early 70's, dinosaurs still roamed the earth. The internet and internet-based singing programs did not exist as they do today.

And perhaps I was wrong on the last parts of verses. I am certainly not an expert, I just know what it sounded like, to me.

But maybe you know better.

As far as the fan split on Van Halen, let me put it this way. There was a movie called "Airheads." A cop comes to the door pretending to be an A&R guy. Steve Buscemi asks him, which was better? VH with David or with Sammy? The cop answered Sammy.

"Wrong Answer!" and Steve slammed the door.

Then cop said, "Okay, but you have to admit they made good music and sold a lot of albums with Sammy."

I like Sammy. But, for me, VH must always be with Diamond Dave.