Wild World Practice

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hi MDEW, I thought your tone and the song were a really good match. For me you sounded great on the choruses, but I felt you were a bit flat in the verses. When I used to practice with the guitar, I always felt that the guitar got in the way of some songs. It would even make me lose the beat (usually speeding up on some parts). I don't know if it was the same for you. But on the other hand, for a first run, it was pretty good. Just need to fix pitch on some parts of the verses. Keep rocking! :cool:

Sounds really good! There were some small parts that were a bit pitchy, mainly on the part starting at about 2.14. Very nice for a first run, and you got the right vocal colour and tone for this song. Great work, keep it up!

Thanks Marcus and Gneetapp, I didn't mean to give the impression that I never sang this before. :/

It is just that I hit the record and winged it without thinking. Maybe I should have done that with The Rose. :P

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

I liked it. It sounded like something I would listen to in a lobby or restaurant or someplace where a background music (live) would be playing. Your tone is nice although in parts it is kind of like a spoken voice rather than a singers voice which makes it preferable to a background music type. The pitch was good as was the tone. On the word "hope" the "O" is a little odd. Sort of not really an O or "OH." It's a bit more spread. Kind of spoken rather than sung. Hard to explain. Kind of like there is an a added before the o sound. On a few parts the "a" vowel as in when you sing "bad" is a bit the same way. It's almost like "bed" instead of "bad."

Good job though overall.

Thanks Clint, I always struggle with my O's. They drift towards a w and I haven't been able to break that yet.

Thanks for pointing those out. Sometimes I can tell something is a little funny but can not pinpoint it myself.

Thanks Clint, I always struggle with my O's. They drift towards a w and I haven't been able to break that yet.

Thanks for pointing those out. Sometimes I can tell something is a little funny but can not pinpoint it myself.

Maybe some shading on that particular vowel. Forget about the "o" you know and learn a singing "o." As if it were a different letter. Maybe shape your mouth differently as well as placing the sound somewhere else like further back in your head rather than forward placement. A rounder vowel. Add uh to it maybe?

Good job though:)

EDIT:

With all the above noted you may also consider that nothing is really wrong. It all depends on style. If someone sings Journey for example, the listener automatically (usually) becomes biased and is listening and comparing to Steve Perry. But what if a country singer covered a Journey song? Diphthongs are a no no in conventional singing but what if that's your style? It isn't such a no no in country singing and it fits in well. So something has to be said about personal style and sounds. As well as stylistic choices. Some critique and say a singer sounds too airy or breathy. Ok, but maybe that's his/her style. What about John Mayer? He is breathy.

Style is one thing to consider and Vowels are modified for one reason or another. There are many singers who I do not like because I can not understand what they are singing because the vowels are modified to the extent of them all being the same. But, something is tripping me up, so someone pointing out that my O's and A's sound funny is a benifit to me.

Ronws helped me out alot by letting me know that my Ah sounded more like an A as in cat because of my accent.

I have a somewhat southern Hillbilly accent. I always thought that I was pronouncing words the same as what I hear on the average american TV show but evedently I have a southern Drawl combined with local dialect. In other words I sound funny. :P :D

I have a somewhat southern Hillbilly accent. I always thought that I was pronouncing words the same as what I hear on the average american TV show but evedently I have a southern Drawl combined with local dialect. In other words I sound funny. :P:D

That's what I meant in my statement above about forgetting the vowel you know and learn a singing vowel. It's more standard and moves you away from speaking accents. Like imitating another voice so you don't sing as you speak. But I also believe that the ability to control the vowel (rather than over shading) gives you the ability to be more artistic and not sound overly controlled. Well, imo :)