Singing brighter when singing lower?

Rate this topic

Analysa

I am considered a mezzo soprano and I have a range spanning from a Bb2 to an A6. When I sing anything past an E4 (just above middle C), whether I'm belting or in my head voice, my tone is a nice balance between warm and bright. The problem is, when I sing in my lower register, I sound dull and almost flat. I don't find singing low hard, unnatural, or uncomfortable. It's just that when I listen to a recording of myself, my middle & upper notes always sound like that perfect combination between bright, warm, and full; while my lows sound extremely dark, dull, and further back in my throat almost. What can I do to brighten my lower notes so I don't sound like I'm under pitch, bored, and dull? I want my lower parts to sound just as energized and effortless as everything else

I am considered a mezzo soprano and I have a range spanning from a Bb2 to an A6. When I sing anything past an E4 (just above middle C), whether I'm belting or in my head voice, my tone is a nice balance between warm and bright. The problem is, when I sing in my lower register, I sound dull and almost flat. I don't find singing low hard, unnatural, or uncomfortable. It's just that when I listen to a recording of myself, my middle & upper notes always sound like that perfect combination between bright, warm, and full; while my lows sound extremely dark, dull, and further back in my throat almost. What can I do to brighten my lower notes so I don't sound like I'm under pitch, bored, and dull? I want my lower parts to sound just as energized and effortless as everything else

Hi, Analysa.

Could you post a clip?

Hi,

Basses have that same issue, as the resonances of the vowel will align with harmonics progressively higher in the series as the fundamental descends. Speaking as a lyric Bass, here is what we do on the way down the scale:

1) maintain twang/singers formant, depending on genre.

2) resist the temptation to over-drop the jaw. That raises F1 and F2. We want to align them with the specific harmonics to get the warmth and ring... And as you go lower, all the harmonics have less strength, so the resonance becomes progressively more critical.

3) make sure that support is adjusted to not over-Or-under blow the laryngeal balance. Remember, for lower notes, the vocal bands are shortening and thickening on the downward scale.

4) if you use a mic, eat it for the lower notes. The proximity effect will add warmth for you, and more of the soun you produce will be picked up.

I hope this is helpful.