Review & Critique my Singing!

• TMV World Legacy Member

Warm, balanced tone....and nice presence behind the microphone. Personally I'd like to see you sing a tune with a guitar in your hands. Just because I like that sort of thing. 

What I hear right out of the bat is that you tend to a breathy voice. You are letting air to pass through the folds, which prevents maaany other things to work right.  The second song is a lot more breathy than the other one.

You can notice it in your lower notes, very clearly, because you just go full leak and lose the body, ping, cut, umm.. resonance. It sounds cloudy, "pillowy". Do you understand what I mean :P ?

There are a lot of videos on youtube that can help you get rid of airyness, though I highly recommend a teacher. Add me on Skype and I can help you with what I can if I see you logged in, mate.  My username is Gorehax.

What I hear right out of the bat is that you tend to a breathy voice. You are letting air to pass through the folds, which prevents maaany other things to work right.  The second song is a lot more breathy than the other one.

You can notice it in your lower notes, very clearly, because you just go full leak and lose the body, ping, cut, umm.. resonance. It sounds cloudy, "pillowy". Do you understand what I mean :P ?

There are a lot of videos on youtube that can help you get rid of airyness, though I highly recommend a teacher. Add me on Skype and I can help you with what I can if I see you logged in, mate.  My username is Gorehax.

Yeah that's exactly what I noticed too. Stylistically this is actually a really successful technique. Lots of pop acts like John Mayer add loads of breath and there is a certain audience of listeners that love it. That guy breaths his way to the bank.

I would recommend taking Gorehax up on his lesson though. Cause even if you choose to use this effect, gaining more control over your voice is wise both for you as an artist, but also breathy voice is one of the more tiring types of phonation and if you ever were experiencing vocal fatigue you'd be able to nip it in the bud before it got out of control.

Overall, I get a pretty poppy vibe from these songs Rokas, presentation. It's not fully polished off yet and I feel like you still could gain a bit more mastery, but you're heading in a direction that could be successful and you're young enough to really make the younger ladies swoon.

Thanks for the comments! And yeah, I am working on that "breathy voice" thing with my teacher  :D I'm not saying I want to completely get rid of it because I kinda like it, but it definitely needs more practice and control.

Thanks for the comments! And yeah, I am working on that "breathy voice" thing with my teacher  :D I'm not saying I want to completely get rid of it because I kinda like it, but it definitely needs more practice and control.

Yeah, gain control today, so you can flip it on/off command and live to breath your way to the bank another day. ;)

Anyway, treat it a bit like a sport or something. I don't mean competitive (no breathing contests with John Mayer! well maybe), but just like any other exercise, you might need rest from time to time. As an example you could do breathy singing, but speak less breathy. You can get more time for 'rest' that way.

I don't think you should get rid of it dude. I know why you kind of like it and I kind of like it too. It makes you distinct and could be a chick magnet. The longest term strategy is what you're doing. Aim for the end goal to be kind of like a switch you can just flick on and off. You can go far.