attempt at bluegrass...pleeeze critique!

Rate this topic

• Administrator

Hey bluesguy,

I enjoyed your recording... its really raw and feel authentic... hard core blues!   ;)

Your tune could benefit from a little more articulation. Its hard to hear what the words are, but i understand that may be part of the style your going for.

Do you have a voice coach?

BTW , I liked the Neil Young "old man" as well... 

Thank you Robert....no vocal coach. I just really started to try to sing. I've accepted the fact that I don't have a strong voice....I don't know what style I'm going for...just trying to be me, I guess. I'm just trying to get to the point where I might get a "passing grade" at an open mic or really just be comfortable singing at a bluegrass jam. Am I on key? Thanks...

• Administrator

On Key?  Mostly, on pitch... only sometimes. Key and pitch are two different things... but no foul. You need more experience and some training... not a tough thing to take care of. Consider investing in a training program. I have one titled, "The Four Pillars of Singing" that is quite popular, but there are other good programs as well.

Thanks...I will explore....difference in key and pitch? I'll check into that as well. I appreciate your help. Are these things that can be learned to where my voice would be passable?

Just for comparison....the below is my first attempt at songwriting...more of a fingerpicking folk song?

Which style is better, if either?